This is the Simple Plain Sweatshirt from Ottobre’s Winter 2014 issue. It is pretty much what you would expect from the name – just a basic sweatshirt.
It is fairly shapeless – boxy and oversized. This is a size 164 made in pink Malden Mills 100wt microfleece. The keen observer will notice that the grass is green in this photo. I actually made this last October. Zoe has only worn it a handful of times since, so it obviously was not a big hit with her.
She requested a zip hoodie after this, and I made her one from the 1/2014 issue. I will try to talk her into pictures this weekend with that one.
It’s a brown thread marathon!
Curved raglans are a favorite of mine. I have used this issue for the curved raglan in smaller sizes, and was relieved when I went back to it this year and found they had continued the shirt up to a size 170 in this style in pattern #35.
Since this is an early edition of Ottobre, the contents are all in Finnish, so I have no idea what the directions really say. However, I can figure out that it wants me to use a 3.5cm wide piece of ribbing for the neck binding, and that I should construct it in the same manner as pattern #19, which is the version of the pattern in sizes up to 140. This pattern also has a flower applique that I omitted.
Fortunately, it’s just a t-shirt, and I have made lots of t-shirts, so I don’t really need the instructions for putting it together. (This is good since the instructions for #19 are also in Finnish!) I have heard, though, if you have one of these early magazines and are trying to make an item where the instructions really would help, you can contact the folks at Ottobre and they will provide an English translation for you.
I always go back and forth about whether I should topstitch the seam between the body and sleeves. It seemed like it would be more distracting with the horse print. If I do this shirt with solid colors, contrasting topstitching might be a good way to add interest.
This is a size 152, made for my daughter who will be 10 in a couple months. She’s tall and has her mom’s gorilla arms. Poor kid.
I added length to the sleeves and body. The arms seem a bit snug, though they don’t look it in the Ottobre photo, so I’m not sure what that’s about.
If you’re playing the stash game, this one was worth 3/4 yd fabric + one notion point (size tag), so 7pts. And that brings my total for the month to a whopping 12.33 for the month. Look out stash gamers!
Hey, look, it’s another wonky swimsuit picture! (wait, it’s the picture that’s wonky, not the actual swimsuit, really!)
I know, I know. Laying stuff out on the table and then trying to take a picture of it with the overhead room light hitting it in all kinds of strange ways isn’t helping me here. That’s okay, we’re not really here for the beauty of my photography, right?
Anyway, this is size 7 again, but this one is completely lined and I attached that pesky foldover elastic by straight stitching the back side of it through both layers of the suit and then folding it over and running the three step zigzag across the front, going through the swimsuit layers and the other side of the elastic. MUCH better than trying to apply this elastic in one step!
Using the foldover elastic makes the full lining a breeze since you can really just sew the suit up and then sew the lining the same way, put them wrong sides together and apply the elastic. Easy peasy!
The copyright on this pattern is 1967, 1975, and I think that’s part of what I love about it. This pattern has modest leg openings – read as: child’s butt is not sticking out.
After looking at the pattern measurements, I decided to completely ignore them and make a size 7. I probably could have made a size 6x, possibly a 6, but this one is pretty good and will hopefully still fit at the end of summer when the girl is half a foot taller. Seriously, it’s ridiculous how fast this child is growing.
I used foldover elastic (FOE) on this, shiny side out. As far as I know, it makes no difference if the shiny side is out, but that’s how Zoe likes it. Cuts were 12″ FOE for the leg openings, 13.5″ for the arm holes, and 28.25″ around the neck and back.
I really enjoyed seam ripping the elastic on one of the arm holes after I didn’t catch the suit fabric in it. Particularly annoying since that was a section where no stretching of the elastic is needed and it should have been a very easy application. Note: while it may seem like a good idea to attach the FOE in one fell swoop, resist the urge. The additional time needed to pick out the three step zigzag stitches negates any time saved.
This swimsuit fabric is one I pulled out of the sale bin and thought it would be good to practice on. It turned out to be one of Zoe’s favorites and this is the second year she has a suit from it.