It is common to hear people say they are afraid to sew with knits, but I really like them. Knits always seem more forgiving to me when lining up seams.
This is the hip length short sleeve version of this top. Normally, I have to add length to tops, but this one feels like it may even be a touch long. When it came time to topstitch, I used a spool of regular sewing thread and filled a bobbin so I would have thread for both needles. Since the underside of the fabric is white, I just went with white wooly nylon in the looper of my coverstitch machine.
Even more important, I used the iron before coverstitching. I have a tendency to be lazy and just run hems through without first pressing them. But, look! Things turn out so much better if they are nice and neatly ironed first.
Why can’t I remember this and always spend the extra 60 seconds with the iron?
This fabric is sitting on my cutting table.
The trouble is, I am having a hard time deciding what to make with it. I was originally thinking it would make a good top, perhaps Jalie 3132?
Then I remembered I do not usually wear printed tops. But maybe that is only because I do not own any printed tops? So, if I had one, would I wear it? Hmmmmm, not really sure.
The fabric has been sitting her for a couple days now. I was thinking it could be a good skirt fabric. A contrasting solid colored yoga waist would be nice. Long or short? I just cannot decide!
What would you make? Shirt? Long skirt? Shorter skirt?
ps – Be sure to stop by tomorrow, there will be something exciting here!
Things are completely crazy over here as we are coming to the end of basketball and hockey seasons. Throw in spring soccer starting, school conferences and a bunch of great things in the works for Sewing Mamas and it is just plain busy!!
This morning I tried to take a picture of me in the reflection of the bathroom mirror, which lead to an “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” scenario – clean mirror, notice the rest of the bathroom needed cleaning, start more laundry, discover the washing machine decided today was a good day to leak all over… sigh. In the end, I decided a picture of the hoodie alone might be simpler.
Looks kind of mulberry colored there, but the fabric is maroon. It is a 100wt Polartec fleece. Very nice and soft, but it reflects the flash like crazy!
First, minor modifications. I added 2″ to the sleeves. Now that I have tried it on, future versions will also get 2″ added to the length of the body. It is okay at the current length, but I am pulling at the hem whenever I am standing.
Second, small oops and a little pucker. The oops is that I think the crossover part should be at the corner. And the pucker, well, that is really another oops. It is not too bad when worn, though. I got my husband to take a picture so you don’t have to see the selfies in my dirty bathroom mirror!
A little closer so you can maybe see how the neckline/hood is. The maroon color looks more true in these pictures as well. Kind of an odd look on my face in this next picture, I was trying to give my husband photo taking instructions while he was shooting pictures. We’ll just roll with it. :)
The next one will probably be the shawl collar version rather than the hood. The hood is okay, but since I am not going to wear the hood up, it really ends up being more bulk.
OH! If you like the hood, Jeri did a tutorial on how to make a contrast lined hood for this pattern. You can find it in our downloads – right here! Be sure to check that out, she did a great job and it looks really nice.
Playing a bit of catch up here –
I did make this one again, adding length to the sleeves and body. It appears that I forgot to take a picture after I hemmed it, so you get this one where I was trying to decide if I would hate it unhemmed.
In case you’re wondering, it wasn’t an issue of my not wanting to hem it. It was a thread color issue. I didn’t have an acceptable match (in my eyes) in my collection of serger threads. After some digging, I did find a suitable match in my sewing machine threads. I popped the spool and bobbin on the two spots on the coverstitcher where I’d normally put serger thread cones and then went with the darkest purple woolly nylon I could find for the underside. Worked wonderfully. Perhaps one of these days I will remember to snap a picture after it goes through the wash. Right now I’m too
I’ve been putting this one off because the v-neck on it made me nervous, but it really wasn’t too bad. I made this one for me, tracing out a size U. I added 1.5″ to the sleeves. If I make it again, I’ll probably add another half inch. I didn’t add anything to the length and it falls right about where most of my RTW tops do, but next time I’ll add another inch, maybe an inch and a half.
This particular knit claimed to be 100% cotton when I bought it, but I suspect there is some poly in there. Some day I may get around to burn testing it. Mostly I’ve been using it to try new patterns and check the fit and sizing since it’s not really my favorite color anyway.