There was a fabric store near the office I used to work in many years ago. I found it quite by accident; it was tucked into an industrial park.
When my daughter was born, I decided to make cloth diapers for her. We made many trips to the store over the years, as the sewing of diapers later became the sewing of clothes and other things. The ladies who worked there would comment on how cute she was or how big she was getting. Later I went there with her younger brother and they would still ask how Zoe was doing, if she was at school, and so on.
I bought a lot of fabric there. They used to have overruns from Carters children’s clothing lines, piles and piles of knits, quilter’s cottons, dress fabrics, fleece, home dec, pretty much anything you might want.
Over the last few years, some areas of their stock has dwindled. Children’s knit prints have been less plentiful and the quality of the fabrics that were offered was not as good as it was in the past. I ran into the owner shortly after the store closing was announced and he was quick to put blame on the new health care laws. That seemed odd since most of the employees were only part time – a fact I had heard them complain about on various occasions. (Yes, it is possible I spent too much time there…) My guess is the health care requirements, if they applied, were the final straw for a business that was on the decline for the last few years. But that is only a guess.
Now customers are left watching as sections of the store empty and fixtures disappear. The wall shelving in this picture used to be full of quilter’s cottons, and the shelves extended across all of the wall that is now visible to the left and all the way to the door. The pile of unwanted fleece for a New York sports team is a tiny fraction of what used to be available here.
This thread display holds only a few stragglers now, and what remains of the notions wall is looking bleak. I don’t know if I will go back again. The advertising says they are bringing in remaining inventory from the warehouse to the few stores that have not closed, but it is pretty sad at this point. Employees say the stores are expected to close at the end of the month.
Goodbye Mill End, I’ll miss you.
Things are completely crazy over here as we are coming to the end of basketball and hockey seasons. Throw in spring soccer starting, school conferences and a bunch of great things in the works for Sewing Mamas and it is just plain busy!!
This morning I tried to take a picture of me in the reflection of the bathroom mirror, which lead to an “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” scenario – clean mirror, notice the rest of the bathroom needed cleaning, start more laundry, discover the washing machine decided today was a good day to leak all over… sigh. In the end, I decided a picture of the hoodie alone might be simpler.
Looks kind of mulberry colored there, but the fabric is maroon. It is a 100wt Polartec fleece. Very nice and soft, but it reflects the flash like crazy!
First, minor modifications. I added 2″ to the sleeves. Now that I have tried it on, future versions will also get 2″ added to the length of the body. It is okay at the current length, but I am pulling at the hem whenever I am standing.
Second, small oops and a little pucker. The oops is that I think the crossover part should be at the corner. And the pucker, well, that is really another oops. It is not too bad when worn, though. I got my husband to take a picture so you don’t have to see the selfies in my dirty bathroom mirror!
A little closer so you can maybe see how the neckline/hood is. The maroon color looks more true in these pictures as well. Kind of an odd look on my face in this next picture, I was trying to give my husband photo taking instructions while he was shooting pictures. We’ll just roll with it. :)
The next one will probably be the shawl collar version rather than the hood. The hood is okay, but since I am not going to wear the hood up, it really ends up being more bulk.
OH! If you like the hood, Jeri did a tutorial on how to make a contrast lined hood for this pattern. You can find it in our downloads – right here! Be sure to check that out, she did a great job and it looks really nice.
Today’s plan is to finally put this pattern to use. It is all over my cutting table. I was going to do it yesterday, but after spending too much time at the dentist getting a filling replaced, I lost my motivation.
Zoe saw the pattern out on my table – “Are you making that for me?” No, girly, this one is actually for me! Hopefully it will go well.
Anyone want to sew one up with me?
Here’s a second run at this pattern. I took three additional inches out of the rise and it is much better. Zoe cut about three inches from her hair, and it is also much better. :)
This pair is fully lined. They are currently serged at the bottom and folded up for a cuff. Since we should have warmer weather in a couple months and Zoe will likely grow up but not significantly in the waist, I will hem them next fall. I told her these are weekend house pants or pj pants only, not school pants. Here’s the difference in the rise:
The other thing I did differently on this pair is I understitched the pockets. This helps keep them inside the pants so they don’t try to roll out.
It looks like this inside the pocket:
I traced these in a size 12 with an inch off the top of the rise for Zoe and then added two inches to the length.
This picture was just after her basketball game, I suspect she won’t be so willing to model without prepping in a few years!
Zoe loves them, but… they are huge in the rise. I should take out at least 3 inches, maybe 4 if I make them again. And, since the rise is so long, she’s stepping on the hems. Good news is, I think the length I added will be just about right once I adjust the rise.