User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circle Skirt Sew-Along (Edited at top of page 2)

Downloads
    Uploads

Circle Skirt Sew-Along (Edited at top of page 2)

1. Take waist measurement for person wearing the skirt and determine how long you want the skirt to be.

2. Divide waist measurement by 3.14 and then divide by 2.

3. Fold fabric with stretch across grain (for knits). Folded selvage distance should be skirt length plus the figure you got in step 2 from the fold.

4. Fold fabric again, opposite direction from the fold in step 3.

5. Using measurement from step 2, mark a quarter circle from fold corner and cut. After marking/cutting, mark fabric from the edge of the circle you just cut, using desired length less 2".

When you unfold the fabric, it should look like this:

6. Next, cut a strip of ribbing or other stretchy knit to the length of the waist measurement you took earlier, less 1". It should be 5" wide. (If you change the width of the waist piece, remember to adjust the length you cut the skirt in step #4.)

7. Iron and hem the bottom edge of the skirt.

8. Sew ends of waistband together to make a large circle, then fold it in half lengthwise.

9. Pin waistband to skirt.

10. Serge or sew waistband to skirt.

11. You're done!

This pattern can easily be altered for woven fabrics and/or to include a side zipper.
    Faith
    Mom to Two Fantastic Kids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    UR2Cool! Thanks so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Downloads
    Uploads

Donde esta' the Amazon button?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice! EXcellent sew-a-long!
    ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Marina -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Single Homeschooling Mom to
    Chase 16, Morgan 11, Mason 8, Addison 6 and Isabella 3

What Little Girls Dream Of

sorry for the poor quality, I'll change it soon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much, perfect photos and explanation too
    Dina

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow Faith - that looks pretty easy! I may have to try it sooner than I had planned.

I need some projects that take up a lot of fabric and circle anythings seem to do the trick, lol.

Thanks for posting that!
    ~Becky, Mama to Anika (11/03)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Downloads
    Uploads
    GReat job Faith. This is one for the downloads for sure.

Seeing your hem is making me get even more excited to get my cover hem. I hate hemming round hems because of the puckering. THose days are over!
    Michelle,
    Wife to 1, Mama to 4.

Downloads
    Uploads
    YEAH! I am going to try this next week for sure. Thanks for posting this!
    ~Amy
    Busy mama to 3

Downloads
    Uploads
    wow could you have made this look any easier? thank you
    ~Pam~ slightly nutty mama to:
    Mike 90, Abby & Ally 01, Mason 03

My sweet Babies

l

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you!

Isabel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh that is great! Thank you! I will have to do that TODAY! Think I need to go to Joanns just for a looksy at fabric.

Michelle

Downloads
    Uploads
    fabulous!!!

how would you adjust the pattern for wovens?
    Rachel SAHM to Mikayla (10), Harley (8), Evie & Jackson (11/22/06)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RightMama
    how would you adjust the pattern for wovens?
    Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I just saw your question.

I haven't made one yet personally, but what I would do is cut a seam on one side, put in a fitted waistband (or maybe just turn and topstitch the waist circle?) and insert a zipper.

I think it was Crystal/faithhopelove who said she made one from a woven and didn't need to make any adjustments or use a zipper!
    Faith

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I know what my first stash game project is going to be! Lauren is very much into spinning right now, so I think she 'd love this. thanks!!
    J
    Jamie, wife to Joe and mama to Lauren and Tara

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mary,
    momma to Tyler 5-14-03 And Maya 1-19-2001
    and Ciara (kee-ra) 1-14-06

Audrey Rose 4.29.08

Downloads
    Uploads

What do you think of this dress?

I wanted to come back and add a comment to this thread. I used ribbing for the waistband. This particular skirt was for my DD who likes things loose and comfy. I made a similar skirt for my dd using the same waistband method and she complained that it was too loose, so I opened it up and added elastic inside the waistband. So, you may want to consider adding elastic if you want the waist snug-fitting.

-Faith
    Faith

Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks amazing! My DD would LOVE something like that! She's such a tomboy though climbing on everything..I wonder how hard it'd be to put a pair of bloomer's underneath it? Any ideas?!
    Jesse, WAHMama to 4 beautiful babies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oooo, I've got to try this!
    Amber: mama to Svea, Rory, and Tait

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by shellybean
    Seeing your hem is making me get even more excited to get my cover hem. I hate hemming round hems because of the puckering. THose days are over!
    Lucky you... For the rest of us there is always the walking foot. ;)

Great sew-a-long! Cute skirt too!

Val
    Val
    Partner to the love of my life, Don
    Sewing mama to Alex and Cyan and Logan

The youngest from last year and then the youngest from this year. Logan and Joey at the sew expo... Logan is 13 mos old!

Downloads
    Uploads
    [smilie=you-rock[1].gif] Thank you very much from a mathmatically challenged mama!
    Amy

Mama to:
    Erin 10
    Riley 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast