Girl mini strip purse

Materials:
    scraps (8x3")
    fusible fleece
    fabric for lining
    heavy weight iron on interfacing
    1-1.5" grosgrain ribbon or fabric for strap
    snap

Step 1: Make your template. The top is 1.5" wide and bottom is 2" wide, and the length is 7". Slope the top to meet the bottom.

Step 2: Cut your fabric for the strips. You can mix and match or make them all the same. I used 12 different strips. You need 6 for each side.

Step 3: Sew them together using 1/4" seam allowance.

Step 4: (not pictured) iron the seams flat. I like to make them go to the left on one side and to the right on the other side.

Step 5: (not pictured) Use your completed purse side to cut fusible fleece, lining, and interfacing.
    --Iron your fusible interfacing to the lining.
    --Iron your fusible fleece to the completed quilted purse sides.

Step 6: Quilt the strip portions of the purse. I start on one end, and I sew down using 1/2 seam allowance. When I get to the end of the row, I sew along the very edge of the bottom and continue up and down using 1/4" seam allowance. I go back to the 1/2" seam allowance on the edge of the other end.

**If desired, add extra decoration here. I sewed butterfly ribbon and buttons to mine. If they are going to babies/toddlers, I would leave off the buttons!

Step 7: Match edges, and sew sides and bottom of quilted bag using 1/4 seam allowance on sides and using 3/8" on bottom of bag. I use a bigger seam allowance on the bottom edge so that the quilting lines do not show. I serged these, but you can also just sew on a sewing machine.

Step 8: Sew up lining using 1/4" seam on the sides and 1/2" seam on the bottom. Leave an opening of a few inches on the bottom. Trim the edges of the corners.

Last edited by sewingmel; 10-01-2008 at 08:56 AM.