User Tag List

Thread: Montessori Inspired Place Mat - in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

Montessori Inspired Place Mat - in downloads

This craft helps instill confidence and fun in young children as they learn how to set the table. The Place Mat is reversible and there is an alternative step on how to add it to an already existing Place Mat.

1. Measure and Cut the fabric that you would like the back and front of the Place Mat to be. I used a Place Mat that I had and added 1" to its measurement for seam allowance.

2. Trace a plate on coordinating but different color fabric than the Place Mat. I used a dessert plate. Trace as many as the number of Place Mats you are going to make.

3. Trace a cup on coordinating but different color than the Place Mat. I used the same material as the plate. Trace as many as the number of Place Mats you are going to make.

4. Trace a knife, spoon, and fork onto a paper bag or other semi stiff paper to make a template. I found it easiest to trace the spoon and fork upside down. I then turned the fork right side up to trace the tines. Cut templates out.

5. Use the template to transfer shapes onto a coordinating but different color than the Place Mat. Make sure that your knife blade of the template is pointing right on the wrong side of the fabric and left on the right side of the fabric, so that when assembled on the Place Mat the blade is pointing towards the plate.

6. Determine what size of napkin you will be using and cut out from a coordinating but different color than the Place Mat and fork. If not using a napkin, then skip this step.

7. Lay out your cut pieces on the right side of 1 piece of Place Mat fabric. Adhere the pieces either using Fusible Web or, if your like me, pin the heck out of them to the Place Mat fabric. Zig Zag stitch around all the pieces to the Place Mat fabric. REMEMBER: Applique the Napkin FIRST and the fork SECOND.

8. Pin Right sides together of Place Mat Fabric. Stitch around outside edge, about 3/8", leaving a opening to turn fabric.

9. After turning, press, and stitch, about 1/4", around edge. This will close the opening and add a bit of reinforcement to the Place Mat.

8 (Alternative). Press down all sides a half inch. Pin Wrong sides together of Place Mat you made and an already existing place mat.

9 (Alternative). Sew around an existing stitch on the existing place mat.

10. Show child how to set the table!

Last edited by boomer_sews; 09-24-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Montessori Inspired Place Mat

this is great! thank you!!
    [SIGPIC]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/SIGPIC]
    I live for that face.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very very cool! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Tera
    Mom to Madelyn, Harley, Emily and Samuel!

Downloads
    Uploads

I loooove this!
    Rachael
    Married to my hunk of a man, Bradley
    SAHM to Shelby (9), Lily (7), and Kelsey (5), Hailey (4), Caleb (2)

ISO: Heather Bailey fresh cut and pop garden, Japanese fabric/fat quarters

Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool idea!
    Heather, mommy to Kitania 2-10-2007

Downloads
    Uploads

Very cute idea. That would be great for the little ones or even for taking on a picnic. Great job.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is so cute~thank you!!
    ~Marilyn~

~~Maui 2011~~

Downloads
    Uploads

this would be great for us- ds' new job is setting the table.

Thank you
    Maria, loving navy wife, mom to growing preemie ds (11/04), a hurricane in disguise dd (8/09) and bonus ds (11/12).

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Montessori Inspired Place Mat - in downloads

This is a great idea! I'd love to do this when dd gets older.
    Heidi, mama to Vienna, 7mths

Rejoicing in His goodness!

Downloads
    Uploads

What a great idea!

Downloads
    Uploads

neat idea!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Love this! Thanks so much for this tut. I am making some for all the little people in our lives for Christmas.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is great! I going to have to make a few
    A few of my Favorite things!
    and

Downloads
    Uploads

That's so great!!

My sewing website

Downloads
    Uploads

i was just thinking about doing something like this!!! well done!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

That's just perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads

This would be perfect for helping my niece and nephew learn how to set the table. They would love to use it for playtime as well, I'm sure! Thanks for the tutorial.