User Tag List

Thread: Rick Rack & Bias Trimmed using Binder Attachment

Downloads
    Uploads

Rick Rack & Bias Trimmed using Binder Attachment

Some of you may have seen the little jammies I made for my SweetPea. I trimmed the neckline, sleeve cuff and hem of the top.

I used single fold bias tape in the attachment, and slipped it through the last wide slot - I used a stiletto (looks like a mini ice pick) to help feed it all the way through the binder before beginning, but a pin or needle would work fine. Once you get the binding all the way through the attachment and beyond the needle, insert the fabric into the left-side guide. Then place your rick rack on top of that and sloooooowly begin. Always practice first on a long strip of fabric.

You can slide the guide left or right (the hole where the needle goes through) to place the stitching in the right place along the bias so it catches the underside, too.

Curves can be accomplished too!

Just remember to practice and go slooooooooow.

Because this rick rack was a bit narrower, I let it just catch the edge of the swells. This gave it a lacier look.

Enjoy!
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Rick Rack & Bias Trimmed using Binder Attachme

Oh this is just too cool!! Is this on a coverstitch machine or is there a binding attachment for a regular sewing machine? (sorry if this is a dumb question).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Karen~ wife to Thom, mommy to Savannah (5/29/03) and Noah (7/31/03)

Downloads
    Uploads

This was all on my old Singer Featherweight 222 (aka 221, but with a free-arm). All old Singers came with a basic set of attachments, which most can be used on any low vertical shank sewing machines.
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

April...fantastic tutorial!! I just knew that was a Featherweight. I love this technique.

Debbie

Christopher is here! June 10, 2010
    Weighed 7lb 6oz, 21 in long.
    Totally adorable!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, April. Great instructions and pictures. Your final product looks perfect!

Downloads
    Uploads

Beautiful technique. Thanks for the instructions.
    --Leah

Mom to Roger (11), Alexandra (9) & Kaitlyn (6)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for posting this! I've ordered a binding attachment and was wondering if I could use premade stuff in it, this is just what I needed. Looks lovely.
    Cathi
    Mum to Finn, aged 8 & Jordan (girl) aged 12
    ISO: Any Oilily fabrics

SG Points:

Jordan at her primary school graduation

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes you can use pre-made... that's what is in my binder! (Single-fold)
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a binder attatchment that came with my 401A, I've been wanting to try this thank you!!

Devon
    ~ Mama to 4 girly *swellbabies* 10, 5, 3, 1

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks slick! I"m impressed.

I have an old Featherweight that was my grandmother's -- did you say that's an attachment that came with the machine? I'll have to pull it out and see if I have that foot!

Thanks!
    Love sewing for my grandbabies:
    Amber 14; Austin 10; Laynie 4; Cole 2

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much!! I have been wondering whether I can use the binding attachment for bias tape.

Would you like to try FOE with your binding attachment next? I did try this...no success yet though.

You're just using a chainstitch, is that right?
    Cathi
    Mum to Finn, aged 8 & Jordan (girl) aged 12
    ISO: Any Oilily fabrics

SG Points:

Jordan at her primary school graduation

Downloads
    Uploads

april- you are amazing. how do you have the time to make all those darling things for your girls and make us a tutorial!
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"] ISO: japanese woven colorful heggies and Amy Butler Pink Coriander

Downloads
    Uploads

Omigod, I'm in love! I ordered a bias binding foot a month ago but haven't had time to use it yet. I had no idea I could use ric-rac in it! Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

WOW! I always wondered what bias tape was and what you used it for!