User Tag List

Thread: Which Brother to buy?

Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Which Brother to buy?

Hi Karleen, welcome to Sewing Mamas and Australia.

I don't really have any experience with Brother machines so don't know how much help I'd be but I see no one else has answered your question so thought I might just give you my 2c worth.

Those 2 machines you've chosen will probably be like chalk and cheese. There's a big difference between them. If $$ are not really a problem, personally, I'd go for the NV-600. The cheaper one is really just a basic machine. It only has a 1 year warranty where as the more expensive machine has a 5 year warranty.

How long have you been sewing? If you've only just started and not sure that you'll love it, then I guess the cheaper machine will be a better option. Then you can get a good feel for the craft and the machine will probably serve you well for several years before you feel the need to upgrade. If you know you already LOVE sewing, then definitely get the dearer machine. It has SO many more options and will most likely perform better.

The best advise I can really give you is to make sure you go to a machine dealer and not Spotlight to buy your machine. That way you can actually sew on all the machines you are interested in and get a good feel for them. I'm sure if you did this, you would be able to make up your mind what you'd like. Most dealers are very good at narrowing down what machine will truly suit you. Well, a good dealer will. You won't get much, if any, help if you buy from Spotlight. You will also need to take your machine back to *a* dealer to get it serviced at some stage in the future.

Good luck with your decision making. Hopefully someone with "Brother" experience will be able to chime in a bit here too.

Edited to add: Oh, I wanted to say check http://sewing.patternreview.com/ and see what folks think of these machines but when I looked, neither of them where there.
    Last edited by busyozmum; 06-06-2008 at 11:59 PM.
    ~Dot
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mum to Jade (25), James (22), Jack (10), Madelaine (8) and stepMum to Jared (25) & DIL, Alex (23) and Alana (18). Nana to Lindsay (17 Nov, 08).

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
    ~Dave Barry