User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruching (sp?) Tutorial *added to downloads*

Downloads
    Uploads

Ruching (sp?) Tutorial *added to downloads*

Okay, you asked for it...here it is! Now please keep in mind this is just my technique, I have no idea how you are "really" supposed to do it, but this clearly works!

Step 1 - Decide where you want to add your ruching. For this tutorial I am using hem tape which works wonderful and this was a really great match to my fabric, but of course you could make your own for a perfect match.

Step 2 - Pin your hem tape on to your garment. I have done it both on the front and back of the garment but it all depends on the look you want, but the technique is the same. On this on I am putting it on the back. Fold under the bottom edge for a more finished look.

Step 3 - finish pinning everything in place and be sure everything is straight and all wrinkles are smoothed out.

Step 4 - Sew a straight stitch down both sides of the tape, staying close to the edge and then another row directly down the middle. Be sure to leave both ends open. Now you have two channels.

Step 5 - Sew all your tapes in place, tie off ends and clip stray threads.

Step 6 - Now you simply thread a ribbon up one side and down the other. Be sure that the tails of your ribbon hang out from the bottom and that you have plenty left over for tying a pretty bow. I use a good old safety pin for this but I know there are many new and clever gadgets out there for doing the same thing.

This is what it should look like.

Here all three of mine are complete and ready for "Ruching"

Step 7 - Now simply gather the garment by sliding it up the ribbons and then tie it off on the bottom with a bow. The great thing about this technique is it's totally adjustable. You can make it "very ruchy" or just a little bit. It just depends on your preference.

Here is the end result. This is just the beginning of a skirt for Miss Abby. I will post the final product in a little bit.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.
    Dawn

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    theclapThank you

Isabel

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is one GREAT tut! You explained everything in perfect detail. Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, who knew? I always thought it was an advanced seamstress technique; thanks for clueing (sp?) all of us in.
    Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check my ebay feedback here:

Downloads
    Uploads
    What a great tute. I will definetly be trying that ... ONE day.
    Tanya

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great job Dawn
    Krista~ Mommy to Kyra 7-31-05 & Logan 12-30-08

Buried under a pile of clean but unfolded laundry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great job...and you made it look so easy!
    Sabrina
    Mom to 3 little men and a little lady

I blog!

ISO of Ottobre 2/01

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank You! I think this looks really cute!
    Chris

SAHM of 3 & Baby Bean EDD 1/22/10

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, Dawn, I like your tutorial bettern than the one I found on the web last night. Can't wait to try it on some of my new fabric!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Question- does the hem tape fray? I haven't used it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, I have not had a problem with the tape fraying.
    Dawn

My Blog

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks you so much! I have been wanting to try this. This looks like so much fun.
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"] ISO: japanese woven colorful heggies and Amy Butler Pink Coriander

Downloads
    Uploads
    thank you so much!! I imagine we'll be seeing many ruched creations on the runway now! ;)
    ** Sarah **
    SAHM to Robyn and Ollie, wife to Curt

Very green with the sewing machine

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great tutorial!
    MelissaB in WA ~ SAHM to four kiddos ~ a girl (12) & three boys (aka "the brothers" ~ 9, 7, & 5 years)

featuring personalized bloomers, burp cloths, & chenille birthday bibs!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh my gosh THANK YOU!!!!! I've had 2 UFO's for over a year because i couldn't figure out the instructions. I feel like a total dummy now That I see how easy it is!
    Joanita
    wife to Leighton
    Mommy to Aria 13, Leighton 10, Ziona 8 Psalm Zion 6
    Zephania 2 and Zenna 8/12

Downloads
    Uploads
    ohhh thanks so very much! I needed that.

you made it look so easy too
    ~*~ Megan~*~
    Blessed to be Asher and Ike's Momma
    Living our dreams with the love of my life, Tony
    I'd rather be in WDW

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Ruching (sp?) Tutorial

Oooh, very neat! Is that the same technique you'd use to make a drawstring-side-type skirt? I like!
    Brenda
    Momma to Mallory

Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool, I love learning how to do new things!
    "Wanna see a funny face, mama?"

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Thank you. . .my daughter saw a pic of a dress with this technique done and loved it. . .have been looking for the "how to". .. Thanks!
    Nicole
    SAHM of
    DD (8) and
    DS (5)

ISO Anything? Still have lots of knits let to sell just ask me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast