User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lined Hood Tutorial **IMG HEAVY**

Downloads
    Uploads

Lined Hood Tutorial **IMG HEAVY**

A few people have asked about this lately, and I happened to be doing one, so here is my first try at a tutorial.

I am doing the Hilda hooded dress from the latest Ottobre. It will be in a SNS with all my CHristmas sewing soon! Sorry about the photos, I used the same settings for all, but some turned out brighter than others....not too sure why!

Cut the outer hood per instructions.

Cut the inner hood using the same pattern, but take 1/4" off the back seam (to make it fit nicely into the outer hood), and add 1/4" to 1/2" to the neck edge.

Sew the back seams of each hood. I used my serger. TIP: If you set your differential to 1.5 (1.0 is neutral on my machine) it will help you get aroudn those "outside" corners.

Turn the seam allowances to opposite sides, "nest" the seams together. (You can do this by feel, they kind of butt up against one another). Pin the back seams together, leaving about an inch or so at the neck edge unpinned.

Pin and sew the outer hood ONLY to the neckline of the garment.

I then use wonder tape ( a two sided adhesive that has paper on it and washes out) to stick the seam allowance down towards teh garment.

Turn and pin the neckline seam allowance of the inner hood so that it is a finished edge that covers the seam allowance of the outer hood. (This is why you added a bit to the inner hood neck edge)

Stitch the inner neck edge down from the OUTSIDE. This is the side that you will see when the hood is up, so try to do it neatly. It will take a bit of manipulation, but you can do it. When you are finished, check to be sure that the inner hood neck edge is sewn down all the way around. Add another line of stitching if needed.

Sew "in the ditch" (right on the seam line) of the back hood seam. This secures the two hoods together. I usually match the top thread to the outer hood, and the bobbin to the inner hood so if I go off the seam a bit it won't be as noticable.

Baste and bind the face (front) hood edge with binding, FOE, ribbing, whatever you want. (Mine looks different because I did an inserted ribbing band that matches the wrists and pocket)

You have now completed a lined hood!
    techquilter
    Mama to Miss Melly ('05), Annie-Bear ('07) and Pips ('08) and Baby M ('10)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You rock!! I've been wondering about this. I did a lined hood by winging it, but it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. Thank you so much for the tute!
    ~Lisa, Mommy to Karl, Almost Age 7!

My ISO:
    CBGB Punk fabric for less than a small fortune
    Any punky looking boys knits

&

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the tutorial!!! Can't wait to try this!
    Jill
    mama to Duncan (14), Margaux (11) and Oliver (8)

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks a bunch. I too winged it, but I knew there was a "better" way.
    Tanya

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always sew the face section of the 2 hoods right sides together, turn, press and top stitch. Then I serge the 2 hood pieces onto the neckline and now I coverhem neck line (now that I have a coverhem!) LOL. I also just winged it when I came up this this.

It's interested to see how everyone else "winged it"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bump for evening browsers!
    techquilter

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, what a great tutorial. Do you take requests ? LOL--
    Actually, I am going to try to save this thread, (not sure how to do that) so I can reference it in the near future. Thankyou!!! theclap

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can ask.....it depends on what it is that you want and if I am doign that particular thing anytime soon! Thank you so much for the compliment though!
    techquilter

Downloads
    Uploads
    I want pictures!! lol
    Misty
    Mama to Savana Banana(9) an Benny Bean (5)

Downloads
    Uploads
    oh no. The pics aren't coming up for me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Karen~ wife to Thom, mommy to Savannah (5/29/03) and Noah (7/31/03)

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Lined Hood Tutorial **IMG HEAVY**

Oh no! I was just going to finally print this and the pics are gone! Wahhhh!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

no pics here either

Downloads
    Uploads

no pictures here either ................ but got the idea of it . Thanks loads

Downloads
    Uploads

Great tute, but pic's would make it much better!

Downloads
    Uploads

I missed the pics too!

Downloads
    Uploads

Can we get the photos back by any chance??
    I am the way and the truth and the life.
    No one comes to the Father except through me.
    John 14:6

Downloads
    Uploads

yes~please?
    ~Marilyn~

~~Maui 2011~~

Downloads
    Uploads

oh no, where did the pics go????
    ISO Farbenmix Adelinde skirt pattern, Dear Stella pink horses, Megan Nielsen Maternity patterns please!!

K, happy sewin mama to my micropreemie quadruplets...little miracle babies turned crazy toddlers over night

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't see the pics, but will check back.
    Tonya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast