This is my first tutorial, so hope this all makes sense!

This skirt is a cross between a strip skirt and a circle skirt. I will try to explain how we came up with the measurements, so that you can adjust the size accordingly. The example here is for a size 7 skirt (what my dd is currently wearing). If you like this tutorial and make your own skirt, please donate $5 to the charity of your choice (Just a thought, why don't you donate to sewingmamas?? :-) )

What you will need (for size 7):
1 y heavier fabric (eg. Softer Cord used here) Refered to herein as fabric #1
1 y lighter cotton fabric (also think a lighter guaze material would be nice). Refered to herein as fabric #2.
If you want an underskirt or lining: 1 to 1.5 y of choice fabric
Elastic for waist (1” used here)
Ribbon detail (if desired)
Thread

Making your pattern:

This is the hard part. But basically measure waist size and base your measurements on 1.3 times waist measurement.

We had a waist (actually hip size as dd likes to wear things on her hips, not waist) size of 25”. Thus our measurements were based on a 32” strip.

FABRIC #1: These strips are rhomboids. To make your strips, divide this by the number of strips you want of fabric #1. We used 13 strips. Thus the width of the top of each strip was 2.5”. Adding ¼ inch on either side gave us 3 inches at the top of the strip. We added 1.5” to give us the width of the bottom strip. So, each strip of fabric #1 was 3 inches on the top and 4.5 inches on the bottom. Measure for your length (we used 14.5” ). We drew this all out on cardboard to make our template, then cut 13 pcs of fabric.

FABRIC #2: These strips are triangular. Since fabric #1 was to be side-by-side at the top, we only allowed for ½ inch at the top (¼ inch seam allowance on both sides). To complete a circle on the bottom, we used 5 inches on the bottom. Then we connected the top and bottom marks to make our triangle. We made our template out of cardboard, and cut 13 pcs of fabric.

I am really not sure how we came up with the bottom measurements. DH calculated this out to make 360 degrees. But in hind sight, and easier way to do this would be to cut out a circle to the length you need and run a tape measure all the way around the edge and divide by 26 (13 + 13). You will need the circle anyways to make your underskirt or lining. There are lots of tutorials on circle skirt calculations, we had a pre-existing pattern that we used.