We didn’t have enough material for an underskirt, but I thought it would be super cute to add this on. Basically a circle skirt that is longer than your top skirt. I figured for us, 2.5 to 3 inches longer than the top skirt would have looked nice. Going to try this next time. (BTW, our template pcs above were lengthened to compensate for lack of underskirt. We lengthened it. It is all ready to go for us to try next time with an underskirt. Just wanted to explain that incase you were wondering why there seemed to be 2 sections of our template above.)

Your waistband would just be a rectangle cut of fabric #1. Our measurements were 9 inches (allowing 2 inches for casing and ½ inch seam allowance on bottom) by 32 inches (1.3 times the waist measurement as described above).

If you have gotten this far, you are well on your way!! Confused?? PM me and I will try to help you out.

Putting it all together:

We did French seams Then we ironed the lighter fabric (#2) toward the heavier fabric (#1) and double needle topstitched it down. Topstitching was always done on fabric #1. This way the lighter fabric will fall in slightly behind the heavier fabric to almost look like a peak through lininig/underskirt. We did this for ALL the strips alternating the 2 fabrics.

Once all the strips were joined, we had our circle skirt part. It was hemmed. We hemmed our circle skirt lining and basted it to the top skirt at the top.

We sewed a ribbon detail onto our waistband rectangle. The we folded our rectangle in ½ with right sides together and made the back seam ¼ inch, making sure to line up the ribbon.
We made the casing for our elastic by folding over at the top ½ inch then again 1”. Basically, this is just a really wide waistband to sit just below the butt cheeks. Standard casing. Nothing too fancy, really. Not sure if a Kori waistband would work here? Something to think about.

We pinned our waistband to our circle skirt (top skirt basted to underskirt) and used ½ inch seam allowance here. Finish the seam via your choice (serger, overstitching, or tight zigzag). We topstitched the seam to the upper portion of the waistband with a double needle.

Ta da! You are done. Putting it all together is basically like doing a strip skirt.

Hope this all makes sense. I took more pictures, but some of them were lost in uploading. If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.