User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: double-layer sleeve sew-along (in downloads)

Downloads
    Uploads

double-layer sleeve sew-along (in downloads)

Okay, here is the sew along to the double-layer sleeve that I SNS'ed earlier. The pattern that I used was the otto creative workshop 301.
    http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthread.php?t=55816

By no means is this the only way to do it, it may not even be the best, but it's the way that I came up with after inspecting RTW double-layer sleeves. So thus, it's the way I did it.

Here is what the tracing for the sleeve looks like.

You can see that I have 2 lines that I've drawn. The BOTTOM line is the bottom of the short sleeve, and the TOP line is the top part of the long sleeve. Just make the bottom line for however long you would like the sleeve to be, making sure that you add on whatever hem length you would like. So I wanted to the length to be 3" from the armpit to the hem, and was going to do a 1" hem, so the line is 4" down from the top corners. The top line is then 1" above that, because that's how much of a hem I'm doing. I hope that makes sense. LOL

This is going to be the long sleeve part. I just folded the tracing on the TOP line, and cut along the top edge, making sure not to cut the tracing. Once you've cut along the top edge, unfold the tracing and continue cutting out as normal.

Here you can see the long sleeve under the tracing still.

Now it's time for the short sleeve. Lay out the tracing on the fabric.

Fold the tracing up along the BOTTOM line. Cut along bottom edge, again making sure not to cut the tracing. Unfold and cut out as normal.

Press the hem on the short sleeve. It makes it 100 times easier to do this before attaching the long sleeve, don't ask how I know. LOL

Serge short sleeve, and long sleeve right sides together at the bottom edge of short sleeve, and top edge of long sleeve.

Now when you turn it over, you'll already have that nice fold on the short sleeve from pressing the hem.

Coverstitch, or hem however you normally do, the sleeves together. See, pressing it makes it loads easier for this. LOL

This is what it'll look like on the back. I was so proud of myself that I matched it up to the serged thread so well.

Finish constructing shirt as normal. And this is what you get.
    Last edited by hsmom24; 07-20-2007 at 01:07 AM.
    Leslie, wife to Josh
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    and homeschooling mommy to Cortney-15, Ryley-14, Jacob-12 & Jordan-11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Cortney

"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society." ~~Theodore Roosevelt~~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome! I love the light blue you used on your robot shirt, very cool

Thanks for doing this!
    Wendy

Sushi knit-not munki

Nay Zen garden

otto3/2005

Boy knit stripes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wonderful Sewalong Mama!!
    Krista~ Mommy to Kyra 7-31-05 & Logan 12-30-08

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool! What color blue is that?
    Angie

mama to Jacquelyn-10, Zachary-5, and Nathan-2

Our new puppy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for sharing! I've been meaning to try making one...
    ~Julie~

ISO Ottobre 2/2001

:
    SAHM to Jolia (11/01), Jayla (12/03), Kai (05/05)and Jaxon (12/06)

Downloads
    Uploads
    OOh, I love it. Great Back to School shirt idea. Now if only I could get a coverstich machine from dh....mmmm. Hee Hee
    Mom to Zoe (4-19-02) and Piper (7-19-05)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you!
    Wife to Matt; Mom to Joshua (19), Garrett (17) and Liesl (5)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My blog:

My Etsy:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for posting that! I had the idea in my head, but seeing it in pics was great!!!
    Mama to Dustin(3/94),Skylar(5/96),Noah(5/03) and Tristan(8/10). Expecting a Grand Baby Girl 12/16 !!
    Always Missing Our Angel Girl Meagan(8/88 - 11/15)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow!!! So simple but it would have taken me ages and tears (or at least hair-pulling) to figure it out, I'm sure. Thanks!!
    Peggy: Mommy to Brogan (November '04) and Olivia (born at home May '11).
    Step-mom to Emma (September '00). Engaged to Scott.

Expecting a new little person in June.
    Olivia's going to be a big sister!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Very cool! What color blue is that?
    Honestly, I have no idea. I got it in the grab box from sewzannes, and none of the blues that I've ordered since have matched it. Hopefully she still has this color, because I want some more.
    Leslie, wife to Josh

Photo by Cortney

"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society." ~~Theodore Roosevelt~~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for doing this. Is there anyway this can be placed in the downloads area?

love and blessings
    angie
    "I am NOT my hair..." I am who I am.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome tutorial!! I will be refering to this often this fall.
    Ro, Mommy to four wonderful kids

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was great! Thank you. I've been meaning to fiure out how to do that. Thank you, thank you.
    Kelly
    Proud wife of Kevin and Mama of Kealani (7), Kanoa (4), and Keona (1)

Downloads
    Uploads
    You must be totally psychic! I just got a Land's End catalog that had some girls shirts that were double sleeved and I LOVED them I was seriously just wondering how I could make my own up - came on here and voila! Here was your tut. Love it! Thanks so much!
    Heather
    Mama to:

Chase(7)Regan(5)Maso n(3)Eli(1)
    Married to my dh
    (who can fix ANYTHING!) for 9 years

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much for doing such a great picture tutorial I would have NEVER been able to think that one through. Now to give it a try LOL. GREAT photos by the way!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, that is a great Tutorial! What kind of CS do you have? I really need a guide like the one pictured! I have a Janome (can't remember the model no but it's the one with two needles and not three).

Thanks again!
    Tecia
    WAHM to Andrew-20, Tyler-16
    Allison-14 & Maddie-11

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweedle Bumz View Post
    Thank you, that is a great Tutorial! What kind of CS do you have? I really need a guide like the one pictured! I have a Janome (can't remember the model no but it's the one with two needles and not three).

Thanks again!
    I have the janome CP1000. I know that the hem guide will go on both the 900 & 1000, and I got it from the dealer for about $15-20. It's the most loved and used attachment that I have.
    Leslie, wife to Josh

Photo by Cortney

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks so much for posting this! My dd layers all of her shirts, but it annoys me to have to wash two all the time...I'm going to convince her to go with this style, lol.
    Mama to Megan 10/98, Carina 5/01 and Brendan 6/03

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great Sewalong! Thanks!!

Val
    Val
    Partner to the love of my life, Don
    Sewing mama to Alex and Cyan and Logan

The youngest from last year and then the youngest from this year. Logan and Joey at the sew expo... Logan is 13 mos old!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for posting this!

I made a double sleeve shirt last winter and it was no where near this easy. LOL
    Christine, Mom to Victoria, Noelle & Malcolm

ISO: Toy Story knit
    Munki Field Trip
    Munki scraps (quilt)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast