User Tag List

Thread: what needles should i be using on touchtape and PUL?

Downloads
    Uploads

what needles should i be using on touchtape and PUL?

i have never had a problem before but now i can't seem to get my machine to work on the touchtape. i wish i knew what kind of needles i was using. d'oh. i opened a new package today and they're schmetz "jersey ball point". it says 130/705 H SUK, and of course i have no clue what that means. i think there are 3 different sizes in the package (70/10, 80/12, 90/14 -- don't know what that means either, but think the second # refers to thickness of the needle?) and none of them work on the touchtape. they all skip stitches on the tt but not on fabric. so, i'm wondering if i need a different size or if i need universals...
    Jayne
    aka milosmom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check out my sewing album and leave me a comment!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't think that you would want jersey needles because the needle needs to be sharp enough to get through the tt. The jersey has a ballpoint... so it has to work harder tp get through it. Prob explaining your skipped stitches.

That's just my guess

Crystal
    Wife to Jesse 3/98
    Mommy to Hannah 5/99, Malachi 10/26/00, Chloe 10/20/03 and Jonas 10/19/06

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://sewing.about.com/library/sewn.../aamach21b.htm

That link has lots of needle information. When I sew aplix/touch tape I use a schmetz universal needle in size 70/10 or 80/12. I have found (for me) that sewing aplix/touch tape that each is a different sewing situation for lack of a better term coming to mind.

Hook & loop, loop is much easier and you want to make sure you don't use a sharp needle as it can shear the backing. Hook is tricky as the threads can get hung up on the hook material and cause skipped stitches. I also run a piece of fabric softner sheet over the needle before sewing.
    Faith

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Rev. ML King Jr

"Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." Author Unknown

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always use a ball point needle for both hook and loop, and PUL. I have heard of many people having that same problem while sewing h&l. It can usually be resolved, by adjusting your tention
    mama to Malachi 11/30/04 and Gabriel 3/12/07