I make napkins only a couple times a year and every time I do I have to reinvent the wheel because I've forgotten all the details of my favorite mitered corner technique. So last night I decided to make a sewalong. I was cracking myself up using the piggy fabric for napkins.

I like generously sized napkins, so I start with an 18" square of fabric. Flannel is one of my favorites and I also really like linen. I use my ruler to make a line 1¼" from each side on the right side of the fabric and then mark extra dark at the corner intersections so that mark can also be seen from the wrong side of the fabric.

Then I finish the edges by serging, not cutting anything off. This isn't necessary, but I like to use my favorite corner turning technique (thanks to Marcey/lovebugsmom for this). Go one stitch off the edge...

pull the threads to the back and off of the stitch fingers...

turn the fabric 90 degrees and line it up so the first stitch will be right on the edge of the fabric. I like to take up the slack of the threads by pulling them back toward the spools (this trick courtesy of Heather/xheathers).

Press the serged edge under, this pressed edge will come in handy later.

Now let's miter the corners. Fold and press each corner so the serging lines up. Can you see the blue dot at the bottom, it should be right on the pressed fold.

Now you'll fold at that blue dot, still keeping the serged edges lining up. Mark from the blue dot up to the serged edge, this will be your stitching line.

Stitch the corners up to, but not over, the serged edge

and trim the excess.

gently push out your corners, press the edges under, the blue line should be right on the edge, then repress the serged edge under.

Now take your napkin to the machine and sew all the way around. If you pivot at the corners when your needle is exactly in the mitered seam, you'll be perfectly lined up to start the next side.

Voilą, a finished napkin with perfectly mitered corners!