User Tag List

Thread: sew along- exposed zipper - easy bag - DL

Downloads
    Uploads

sew along- exposed zipper - easy bag - DL

What do you give the kid who has everything, all over the place? A bag to keep it all in. Seriously, I'll be giving these along with a toy (Playmobil) for gifts.

Pick a fabric that shows what goes in the bag, this one is for construction toys. If you only have a little of the focus fabric, you could sew a band of it to a plain fabric to "label" it.

you need 2 squares or rectangles of fabric, a zipper that is longer than the fabric, thread, standard presser foot, ribbon or additional fabric for tabs, and ribbon for zipper pull.

Press fabric nice and flat - plus press the zipper fabric to get it nice and flat too!

Step 1, pin zipper to one piece of fabric, at least 1" from the top. stitch down one side, with presser foot along the edge of the zipper

do the same to the other side of the zipper
    then stitch down to the right of the stitching lines, you can use your presser foot as a guide.

[make sure your zipper head is in the middle of zip not the end at this step] after you have 2 rows of stitches on each side, cut off the excess zipper, (don't use good scissors for this, cause you are cutting thru the zipper coil)

flip fabric over and cut down the center, leaving each end uncut for about 1/2 inch.

if you got scissor happy like me and cut all the way thru, bar tack (zig zag, wide width, length set to 0) the zipper end shut.

now trim close to stitching line

either use ribbon (at least the width of zipper), or make a tube of fabric, using your favorite tube technique. Cut one about 2.5" and anothe about 5"

fold these with the seams inside and place on zippers, baste it down, closer to edge than your normal stitch (1/4") Notice that the zipper is not closed (very important later)

place the 2 fabrics, right sides together and sew along all 4 sides, and zig zag edge (I didn't serge, cause I didn't want to change machines and I didn't want to sew over the zipper teeth on serger)

turn bag inside out, use a wooden stick, pencil (eraser side) or some other tool to poke out the corners. If your zipper is open you can turn it inside out (if not, well I wish I had a solution)

the bag is almost done, let's add a ribbon to the zipper pull, if your zipper head has a small hole, this technique will help you pull the ribbon thru (just like a serger thread cradle) thread a loop of thread thru hole in zip head and pull

voila, my bag hanging on my favorite toy!

Have fun! I hope that this helps you out, if you are new to zippers.

Amy/ atozamy

My first exposed zipper! And my first sew along!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cute bag, thanks for the sewalong!
    Jayme ~ mama to Nathan 10/98 and Lauren 6/02
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

marzipan is offline Queen of the Noun T-shirts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Brilliant!

Now find me some playmobile fabric

Thanks Amy!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a neat bag. Just curious why you do it with the zipper exposed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mary,
    momma to Tyler 5-14-03 And Maya 1-19-2001
    and Ciara (kee-ra) 1-14-06

Audrey Rose 4.29.08

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had never done an exposed zipper before, so it counts as a new technique for the sewing challenge game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    sew long, farewell

Amy

"I've been Frosted"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the sew-along. I'm always afraid of doing zippers. This looks like something I can do.
    Jun, Mama to Kevin (05/03) and Amanda (03/05)
    My Ebay Feedback

On another planet.. oh wait, I'm actually in MD
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice work chica!!!!

I love it!!!

I know a little boy who might like that....

;)
    Maria, Mama to Christopher and Gracie!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A gorgeous day at the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC
    -------------------------------------

Downloads
    Uploads
    Niiiice! Sewalongs are so helpful, even to get people to branch off from what you've shown. Thank you so much!!
    ~Lorissa

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: sew along- exposed zipper - easy bag

Took me a bit to figure this one out, but now that I've made it, I like the decorative-ness of it. Good tute.
    Last edited by ialady44; 11-21-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    Debi

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: sew along- exposed zipper - easy bag

Thanks for the tut!! I have an aversion to zippers but will give this bag a try