User Tag List

Thread: SewAlong: New style placemat purse

Downloads
    Uploads

SewAlong: New style placemat purse

For this one, I didn't want to have to handstitch and I wanted my design centered, so I changed the sewing a bit.

Finished product:

First, fold your placemat so the side seams overlap 1/4" in the center.

Sew down this seam. You will have to do it in steps since the opening isn't wide enough for your sewing machine arm. The steps I did were:
    starting at the top going as far as I could manage

Then starting at 2/3 way down going back towards the seam I just ended:

I had to pull the purse inside out for that seam.

Then turn the bag around and start at the middle seam and sew towards the end.

Then iron (because it will be a wrinkled mess) and fold the bottom and top to make the purse.

I added magnetic snap closures next. You can do any closure you want though (or no closure).

I wanted a chinese coin embellishment on the front, so I added that next.

Next, you add the straps. I used cording. To keep from fraying, I taped where I was going to cut an then snipped in the middle of the tape.

I then pinned it so it would lay between the layers.

I pinned it to the inside pocket so the stitching would not show on the outside of the purse.

Next I zig zagged the strap in, to make sure it was extra secure.

Then stitch up both side seams, going back and forth over the strap a few times.

That is it! Your 20 minute purse is done.
    Allison
    mama to Ara (16), Simone (14), and Zarin (9)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    cool! I like the idea of the seam being in the center, rather than to one side.
    Camarell the seamstress formally known as Camie
    mama to ACDEFGH ^I^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**ISO Baby Nay Trains Stripe Knit**

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lovely! Us sewing mamas seem to end up with a ton of purses/totes/bags, LOL.
    Shecki

L to R: Josiah, Samuel, Annaliese, Paul, Hannah, Jack (aka Furby), Eli, Brianna, Shecki, Zachary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great bag, thanks for sharing the directions!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you guys believe I haven't ever made a purse or bag? I did make a little jean pocket something or other once, but I don't really count that.

How big is a place mat? I don't have any but would like to make one of these to go with my kitchen towel outfit for ebay.

Great job Allison, I really love the placemat you chose as well! I need to hit up TJ Maxx.

Do you guys have a TJ Maxx there? If we move there, of course I am now wondering if you have certain things LOL

Crystal
    Wife to Jesse 3/98
    Mommy to Hannah 5/99, Malachi 10/26/00, Chloe 10/20/03 and Jonas 10/19/06

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thats awesome Allison! Thanks for the sew-along
    Heather
    Mom to 3 girls: Ellie (14), Isabelle (11), Alexandra (9)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everyone

Yes, we have TJ Maxx and Ross and Tuesday Morning. So don't let discount shopping keep you away.

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, galleries are up

Quote Originally Posted by arasmama
    Thanks everyone

Yes, we have TJ Maxx and Ross and Tuesday Morning. So don't let discount shopping keep you away.

I love Tuesday Morning! I have never been to a Ross.

Crystal
    Wife to Jesse 3/98
    Mommy to Hannah 5/99, Malachi 10/26/00, Chloe 10/20/03 and Jonas 10/19/06

Downloads
    Uploads
    OH, thanks Allison. That's a handy bag pattern. You know, I never had so many bags before I was a sewing board member. Now, they are coming out of my ears. And of course, Hadyn has more than her share too! LOL
    Marcey ~ Hadyn's Mum

Downloads
    Uploads

New PJs for Jacob and Lauryn

I made two! I have got to start taking pictures LOL

Adorable!

~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm NOT going to show this to Morgan. I'd be drowning in bags, well that or either she'd be wanting her own website to sell them or something. LOL I'm fairly certain she's got the sewing/stashing gene.
    ..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Marina -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Single Homeschooling Mom to
    Chase 16, Morgan 11, Mason 8, Addison 6 and Isabella 3

What Little Girls Dream Of

sorry for the poor quality, I'll change it soon

Downloads
    Uploads
    I need to make Madi one of these.
    timmi

Downloads
    Uploads
    cool! now I don't have to buy Threads (or do I?).

Downloads
    Uploads
    those are soooooo cool! I love your placemat picks...great fabric and designs. 8)
    Jennifer~ in love with a lifeguard and mom to 4 cool boys.

just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, that is so CUTE! I love the placemat selection, love the Chinese coin... Just adorable! Thanks for doing the sewalong.
    Heather
    Full-time mom to Laura (12) and Elena (9)

Downloads
    Uploads
    While I was listening to the radio last night, I was folding and refolding a placemat to get the seam in the middle. I should have looked here first!

That is really really pretty Allison! When do you have time???

~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great bag! Thanks for the sew-along.
    Becky
    Mama to Three Texas Tornadoes
    Quintin, Trentin & Miss Riplee

Three Generations
    - Quintin, my precious mom, Miss Riplee, Me and Trentin

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome purse!

[smilie=doh[1].gif] I should have gotten online earlier today... I wouldn't have needed to go buy a copy of Threads today. Well at least there are a couple of other interesting articles that I wanted to read too.
    Samantha
    Fireball to
    DH since '94.
    The Mommy to Victoria (2.06.01), Jackson (3.06.03), Aidan (9.26.04) and Grace (07.04.06).

Downloads
    Uploads
    As hard as I try not to answer your posts I had to say that the purse is lovely, and I love the sew-a-long. Thank *you* so much for your hospitality last week. It means more than I can say. It's interesting how much objectivity can gain from 15 years away from a parent. The kids and I loved spending time with you and the girls. I'll try to get your fabric in the mail ASAP. Today is my recovery day at home...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Allison! I really like that!

And the whole 20 minutes thing (well, an hour for me) is great too...I just made my first bag (lined with handles and inner pockets) and it's given me a lot of respect for the bag making mamas...holy cow was it a lot of piddly work.