User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "UM" Style Hand Bag Sew-Along - in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

"UM" Style Hand Bag Sew-Along - in downloads

Okay, I'm going to try to keep this short and precise. Usually those two things don't come hand in hand for me, so this will likely be lengthy. LOL

This is my attempt at replicating the Um Handbag by Conphorm: http://www.conphorm.com/carry.html

Step One: Prep & Purchasing

1) Choose your fabric. You'll need 2 layers of fabric. The Comphorm bag uses "industrial wool felt scraps". I have no idea what that is, and I know I don't have it or anything like it. Wool is ideal because of it's weight when felted and that it doesn't have to be edge finished. The closest I could get was this poor boy wool. I felted it more than I usually would (for wool wraps). I think some sort of blanket wool or a dense wool flannel would be more ideal. At the very least, it would save several steps that were necessary because my fabrics were knits.

2) Interfacing. You'll need to use a FUSIBLE interfacing since there are no seam allowances. I used a midweight Pellon interfacing for one layer and craft fuse for the other. I didn't do this on purpose -- I had a cutting mistake and didn't have enough of the Pellon to do the new cutting. I think any heavier weight interfacing would do, but I don't think I'd use Timtex.

3) Zipper. I got zipper by the yard in the upholstery section at Joann's. You can create the double zipper by purchasing the packaged zipper pulls in the same section (set of 2). This makes for a heavy bag (brass), but it's not too heavy for the wool. If you needed something more lightweight, I believe you can get regular zippers by the yard. This bag took 42" of zipper, for reference.

Just put your zipper stop on one side for now. You won't really know the length you need until you've finished basting the zipper to the lining.

Step 2: Preparing the pattern.

This wasn't hard and it didn't even take that long, so don't be intimidated by the drafting! I just printed out the photos from the site and went to with a pencil and a stack of heavy weight tissue paper (the kind they give you at TJMaxx). I just freehanded the shape and then cut it out. From here there's just a lot of folding in all directions to get everything exactly the same on both sides -- very important. Once I got a symmetrical looking pattern, I cut another and used that to finish the job. It helps to label the sides (1 and 2) or whatever so you know what side to fix if you find that one is off. I seamed up a couple out of tissue paper to make sure the zipper ends were placed properly. Then I sewed a couple more out of unwanted fabric. You'll want to do at least one of these so you can cut the placement for the handles. My handles are NOT right -- they should have been offset so that they lined up when the bag is zipped shut. Mark the bottom of the bag -- you should be able to see my fold line in the picture below, but I should have marked it more clearly. You'll also need to round out the hollows where the zipper stops go so that the fabric curves around it.

Step 3: Preparing and Cutting the Fabric.

Felt your wool. If using a knit woolen or something that's not densely felted, you'll have to interface the peices. I cut my wool and interfacing in a large oval according to the pattern shape, fused the interfacing and then adhered it. I figured this was easier than trying to cut everything then adhere. Make sure that you have the outer and lining peieces cut correctly. The pattern cannot be flipped -- there's only one right way to do it and I did it wrong the first time. If in doubt, cut your outer fabric and then lay it on top of your lining the way it will be in your finished bag (wrong sides together) and cut the lining using the outer fabric. This will also ensure that your pattern peices are exactly the same.

If you want to do turned and topstitched handles, you'll need to do a little work on the lining. If you had the right fabric, you could likely just leave raw edges and avoid this step. I T&T'ed because I felt I needed the extra stability in the handles.

Here's what you need to do to alter the lining: After adhering the interfacing, cut the oval in half. Baste a 1/4" seam and press flat. Place your center fold line (bottom of the bag) on the seam line and cut out your pattern. Remove basting so you have 2 lining peices again.

Step 4: Finishing handles and lining seam.

If you're leaving your handle edges raw (no T&T), you can skip this step and finish your handles after the zipper is installed.

If you're T&T: Put outside and one lining peice RST and seam the opening for the handle. Trim. Turn by pushing lining through handle, press, topstitch. Repeat for other side. Seam the bottom of the lining peice by using a 1/4" SA, as you did when you basted it in the last step.

Lay everything out, press, trim, etc.

The first picture shows one handle finished and the other before having been turned.

Step 5: Installing zipper to LINING.

Start with the end of the zipper that has the stopper and arrange it on one of the zipper hollows. I used my invisible zipper foot because, while my regular foot worked, I found it was too wide up near the handles. (The pic below was taken before I switched feet.)

Continue around the bag until you get to the zipper hollow on the other side. Cut the excess zipper off, leaving a bit. Install zipper stop.

Unzip the zipper, flip the tape to the other side and stitch it on.

Step 6: Attaching the outer layer.

Lay outer layer on top of lining, with zipper sandwiched in between. I did some copious pinning here to be sure that everything was lined up and I didn't come across a bubble. Stitch all the way around.

Step 7: Zip, UnZip and amaze your friends!

I hope that's clear. PLMK if you have any questions. I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if necessary...
    ~*Meagan*~
    Mama to my Sweet Pixies ~ Sophie Elise and Ellory Quinn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty neat! I'm incredibly intimidated by the zipper and all, but I'm amazed that you cranked out not only the bag, but a great sew along in just one day.
    WTG, Mama! :urock
    ~Jessica
    , single mama to Dillon
    (10) and Lucas
    (6 on 10/24)

~

Dillon is ten years old - 9/18/08

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool!! Would you be interested in sending a copy of your pattern tracing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mary,
    momma to Tyler 5-14-03 And Maya 1-19-2001
    and Ciara (kee-ra) 1-14-06

Audrey Rose 4.29.08

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow!!!! Impressive.

I'm going to try to keep this short and precise. Usually those two things don't come hand in hand for me, so this will likely be lengthy. LOL
    I had to :LOL2 about that. You know that it's me, too. :happydance
    Amy, loving wee boy #4
    born last Spring!
    Nature loving, homeschooling mama of 3 4 precious boys.

Wood strip-built kayak made by DH as a gift for his dad.
    Kayaking is my bliss: San Juan Islands last New Years Eve.

Downloads
    Uploads
    :allisonundies :happydance Thanks!!!!
    ~*~Tiffany~*~

Sewing mama to Chanel (4/98 ) and Xander (11/01)
    [/img]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you thank you thank you! I think I'll have to make one for my trip to NY!
    lorraine, mama to my sweet baby boy (8/9/99)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much! I'll be off today trying to draft a pattern. The zipper is a bit intimidating, but its such a cool shape.
    Thanks so much for being willing to share!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a FANTASTIC sew-along! Thanks!

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads
    The zipper is actually really easy. It's not like doing a clothing zipper. For one thing, the zipper is really wide (or at least mine was). Also, you're just butting the edge of the fabric up to the zipper so it's not perfection, yk?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That bag is sew cool!! I want to make one now!! Thanks for the terrific sew-along --- makes it seem like I can tackle making one (maybe....).
    -Jill
    Jill
    mama to Duncan (14), Margaux (11) and Oliver (8)

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is way cool!! Very intimidating for me (that zipper freaks me out) but very cool.
    ~Saige
    Aubie and Matthan's Mom

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am still VERY impressed!

What do you think of using other fabrics for the bag? What do you think about denim? Would it work? I do have some felted wool here, but I wouldnt' mind trying it with denim for my eldest dd. What other fabrics do you think would work?
    Maryalene

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by HomemadeMama
    I am still VERY impressed!

What do you think of using other fabrics for the bag? What do you think about denim? Would it work? I do have some felted wool here, but I wouldnt' mind trying it with denim for my eldest dd. What other fabrics do you think would work?
    I guess you could do denim if you didn't mind the frayed look around the zipper and at the handles. It would actually be pretty cool! You'd have to double stitch though, to make sure that it didn't fray past the stitching.

Downloads
    Uploads
    WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!
    Amber: mama to Svea, Rory, and Tait

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose I would have to be careful that it couldn't fray so much that it would get caught in the zipper.
    Maryalene

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: "UM" Style Hand Bag Sew-Along

WOW that is amazing!!!

i would love to try it but i can just about sew lol so i dont think itd come out right, deffo bookmarking this for when im a bit better though

well done hun!!

Leyla-Grace due January 19th

<---- my new blog

Downloads
    Uploads

That is so cool!! I have about 50 million yards of white zipper and thousands of zipper pulls, but I can't, for the life of me, get the pulls onto the zipper. ARGH!
    Beth

soon to be Texan mom to 3 grownups and the Princess

Downloads
    Uploads

now THAT is cool !! Great job !

Kip - Wife of one man, mother of the three little pigs

Blog:
    Mom with Muscles

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, thank you! I'll add it to the downloads shortly.

~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Downloads
    Uploads

very cool, will be downloading as soon as I get through my Christmas list!
    Maria, loving navy wife, mom to growing preemie ds (11/04), a hurricane in disguise dd (8/09) and bonus ds (11/12).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast