User Tag List

Thread: Book cover

Downloads
    Uploads

Book cover

1/2 yard home decorator weight fabric
    fat quarter of fusible fleece (enough for most books)
    thread
    needle appropriate for fabric (I used a jean needle)
    ribbon (optional)
    snap or velcro (optional)

1. Trace around book marking where the spine lays. I trace one cover, stand on spine and trace, and flip over to trace back cover. The book I am covering is our song book for church.

2. Add 1/2'' seam allowance.

3. Cut out pattern.

4. Cut two of pattern out of home decorator weight fabric. Cut one of fusible fleece.

5. Fuse fleece to one fabric piece according to manufacturers directions. Set aside.

6. Trace a line 1'' away from the spine markings on pattern. Fold on this line. Now you have a pattern piece for the flaps.

7. Cut two flaps.

8. Finish raw edge of flap (non-curved edge in this example). I used pinking sheers but you can also serge or zigzag.

9. Fold over 1/2'' on finished edge and stitch.

10. Baste flaps to remaining piece with a 1/4'' seam allowance.

11. Pin outer (piece with fleece) to inner (with flaps) right sides together. Stitch with a 3/8'' seam allowance, leaving an opening between the two flaps to turn right side out. The difference between the seam allowance you added (1/2'') and the allowance you stitch (3/8'') allows for some room to get insert the book.

If you are adding ribbons for book markers, or a flap to snap or velcro, insert between the two layers now.

12. Trim seams and clip corners.

13. Turn, push out corners, and iron seam allowance of opening.

14. Stitch opening shut.

Last edited by momtoesther; 06-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Jess - Part time K teacher and full time Mom to 2 beautiful girls and one handsome boy, living on a dairy farm with the man of my dreams!

my sewing blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Book cover

very nice, thats a great idea.

Downloads
    Uploads

looks amazing

Downloads
    Uploads

I love this. I think it would be perfect for a personalized journal. This would be a great gift! Thanks for sharing!
    Stay at home and blessed Mommy to Johnathan (3), Hayden (3), Thomas (4), Sophie (7), Sarah (10), Ann (10), Christopher (21), Jason (23) and Brandy (27). Married to Doug for 24 years.
    I love to sew! Starting up my sewing business
    - I just bought my domain and now I'm trying to set up my website with all my lovelies!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for this beautiful tutorial!