User Tag List

Thread: How to sew on buttons with your machine

Downloads
    Uploads

How to sew on buttons with your machine

Sewing on buttons with your machine is much much much faster than sewing by hand. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy!

I'm using my slant shank button hole foot for my 401 that looks like this:

button tutorial 1 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

First line up all the button holes (see here for my button hole tutorial) so that the fabric underneath is in the correct position for the button. Now put your fabric marker through the button hole so that it marks the fabric underneath showing the correct position for the button.

button hole tutorial 8 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Now put your button foot on your machine and adjust the stitch length to be a zig zag that does not advance at all but sews on the spot. Place the button under the foot and slide the fabric underneath so that the button will be sewn in the correct spot.

button tutorial 2 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Adjust the zig zag size to fit between the two holes in the button, use the hand wheel to slowly move the machine to make sure the needle will not bang into the button. Once you have it lined up then have the machine sew the button on. Stop sewing when you feel the button is secure. Raise the foot, pull the fabric and button out of the machine and cut the thread. If your button has 4 holes in it then once you stop sewing the first two holes, without cutting the thread, move the needle to fit through the second set of holes and sew those as well.

button tutorial 3 by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr

Repeat for the rest of the buttons!

Button hole tutorial by Apple Dumpling Gear, on Flickr
    Last edited by hershyyyy; 03-22-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Rebecca, Mom to Cai (07/05),Jonah (04/07), Shiloh (01/09)and wife to Sheldon (05/03).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: How to sew on buttons with your machine

Nice tutorial. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Oooh. I just got a used Singer simplicity sewing machine. It had these extra foot but I didn't know what for. Definitely learned something new! Thanks for the help!
    Tiffanny
    Mommy to Aidan. 11/07/2010
    Married to an Airman. 06/13/2008
    22 years old.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. This is really helpful

Downloads
    Uploads

I am trying a avoid buttons where ever possible. I need to really get over that and just try it. Thanks - nice tutorial.
    Former Computer Scientist, now Fabric Addict - Wife & Mommy of 2 beautiful girls (4.5 & 2)