User Tag List

Thread: Adding a gathered ruffle to the outside of a skirt

Downloads
    Uploads

Adding a gathered ruffle to the outside of a skirt

Finish both the top and the bottom edge of the ruffle with a rolled hem or narrow machine hem. Sew gathering stitches along the top edge of the ruffle. I sew two rows of stitches on the ruffle front piece. And another two rows of gathering stitches on the back ruffle piece.

Mark the Skirt and the ruffle into four equal sections. Side seams and middle front and middle back. NOTE: This skirt is a size 110 and I cut out 2 sections for my ruffle. You might have more than 2 sections depending on the size skirt you are sewing. So mark accordingly. I mark each of those with a separate pin. You could also use chalk, etc...

Match up each of the four points on the skirt with the four points you marked on the ruffle.

Pin into place and carefully start pulling up the gathering stitches from the right side of the front section and the the left side of the front section.

Do this until the ruffle is the same width as the skirt bottom. Pin, pin, pin!! I make sure the skirt bottom is just a bit below the gathering stitches when I'm pinning the ruffle into place.

Take your skirt over to the sewing machine and sew in between the two rows of basting stitches.

Once finished sewing on the ruffle, carefully remove those basting stitches. Voila!!! A beautifully ruffled skirt!
    Last edited by limegreenvw; 02-08-2012 at 07:57 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Adding a gathered ruffle to the outside of a s

Thanks for the tute. Cute skirt!
    How did you figure what length the ruffle would be? Is there a seam in the back where you sewed the ruffle together or are there 2 side seams on the ruffle?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chris

SveetaGirl Creations

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chrysalis View Post
    Thanks for the tute. Cute skirt!
    How did you figure what length the ruffle would be? Is there a seam in the back where you sewed the ruffle together or are there 2 side seams on the ruffle?
    Thanks! My ruffle is double the width of the skirt bottom. This was made with a light weight crinkle gauze knit. I LOVE this stuff!! It will be super breezy for the hot summer days.

As for the seams. I made this skirt ruffle with 2 side seams. It is a size 110, but for a larger size you would need to cut out more than 2 ruffle pieces and then mark those into fourths. Your side seams wouldn't match the side seams of the skirt then. Hope this makes sense.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am not a fan of crinkly gauze knit until that last picture. That is one cute skirt! Thanks for sharing!
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-