User Tag List

Thread: Gusset Tutorial

Downloads
    Uploads

Gusset Tutorial

If the underarm area of a garment is too tight or too high, a gusset can help. It is typically a diamond shaped piece that is added to the sleeve and bodice at the underarm.

This top fits ok but I noticed it didn't have enough range of movement when my kiddo raised her arms, so I decided to add a tiny bit more room with a gusset.

Because the sleeve and bodice are different fabrics, I cut the gusset in two pieces (normally you'd cut it as one piece). ALSO, I didn't need much width added so this gusset is not very wide. If you need more room then you'd cut it as a wider diamond shape as shown in the red outline. If you are unsure how much to add, cut the piece large and baste it in to test.

You will need to rip out the seam and sew it in. Here it is with a sleeve roll inserted, as if you were raising your arm.

Here is a more normal view of it. You want it to be as unobtrusive as possible.

Imagine the gusset as a wider diamond shape, it would increase the chest measurement at the underarm.

I hope this helps someone!
    Last edited by suprneko; 11-02-2011 at 01:25 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Gusset Tutorial

Wow, thanks this is great. I could use this in some of my shirt. I have been wondering how to do it.
    Erica mama to ds 1/2009
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Gusset Tutorial

thanks! I've read similar instructions, but I'm so visual, having the pics really helps me- I'm going to try this on a pair of pants!

Jennifer
    living and learning with webb(23) rebecca(20) and joe(13)