User Tag List

Thread: Picot Edging with a Serger on Chiffon Fabric DL

Downloads
    Uploads

Picot Edging with a Serger on Chiffon Fabric DL

I played around with my serger settings after a recent post here about serging chiffon. When finishing the edges of polyester chiffon I found the picot edge stitch works the best. Poly chiffon can be difficult to work with and frays easily.

I followed the serger settings in my manual. My serger is a 4 thread Magnolia 7034D. The settings are similar to the rolled hem setting.

Stitch Length 3.5
    Differential 1.0
    Needle Plate Setting Knob R (rolled hem)
    Needle tensions 4
    Upper Looper tension 3
    Lower Looper tension 7

I use woolly nylon in the upper looper. In the following photos I had white thread in the needles and the lower looper and light blue woolly nylon in the upper looper.

As you serge, make sure to pull the fabric from the back or it will gather slightly. (My serger needs a good dusting - it is the last day of the SG!)

I tried to remove the left needle as my manual suggested and this was the result, a very nice stitch. But I found this stitch much more likely to pull away from the fabric. This stitch is much easier when serging straight lines.

This is the result of leaving the left needle in - a wider stitch but more stable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Picot Edging with a Serger on Chiffon Fabric

Wow! What a beautiful finish. Thank u!
    davi

~time out of mind

mama to sadie fay(6/14/06) and mira isis(4/13/09)

by
    , on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads

that is awesome, TFS!
    mom to a 12 years old girly girl and a 10 years old smarty pants little man.

All typos are hereby blamed on my iPad.

Downloads
    Uploads

that's cool! thanks for taking the time to do it.
    [SIGPIC]
    [/SIGPIC]
    I live for that face.