User Tag List

Thread: Easy 3-thread Flatlocking - in DL

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Easy 3-thread Flatlocking

I do not believe it is a strong because there is so much tension on the needle thread that it does not stretch as much. That makes it more likely to pop under stress. If I were doing the raglan tee, I would probably serge the seam and then do a decorative flatlock over it (by disengaging the knife and flatlocking over a fold of fabric). Mel has a good tutorial in the downloads (I think the techniques section) that shows flatlocking on underwear and a few different options.
    Jenn
    ~ full time working mom to a 7 yo dd, 9 yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 12 yo dd -- with a homeschooling dh!

I (used to) blog at
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

by
    , on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Easy 3-thread Flatlocking

Quote Originally Posted by sewingmel View Post
    I wouldn't get super carried away and flatlock everything. I did a flatlock trial a while back, and almost everything that I just straight flatlocked has popped. I mostly made nightgowns and underwear. None of the underwear held up with straight flatlocking, and the nightgown that I didn't serge first didn't hold up either. I have a few pieces in the mending pile as we speak. The nightgown that was serged and flatlocked has held up beautifully!

I think the fleece might stand a better chance of holding up mostly because you don't put the same stress on those seams. I can't wait to hear how it holds! I think I will go update the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingmel View Post
    Oops! I forgot to say that this is a great tutorial! I LOVE the idea of feeding ribbon through the ladder. I hadn't thought of that!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn_carney View Post
    I do not believe it is a strong because there is so much tension on the needle thread that it does not stretch as much. That makes it more likely to pop under stress. If I were doing the raglan tee, I would probably serge the seam and then do a decorative flatlock over it (by disengaging the knife and flatlocking over a fold of fabric). Mel has a good tutorial in the downloads (I think the techniques section) that shows flatlocking on underwear and a few different options.

Thank you so much Jenn and Mel. I'll try the decorative flatlocking over a serged seam. I guess we'll see how Matthew's underwear holds up with the straight flatlocking.....I'm sure it'll be in my mending pile sooner than later. LOL

Thanks again ladies.
    ~~Cheryl~~
    Farm wife and Mom

A Heavenly view from my backyard.