User Tag List

Thread: How to sew a hair scrunchie - in DL

Downloads
    Uploads

How to sew a hair scrunchie - in DL

I hope this works!

My upload failed...so just typed it in here.

eta added photos

How to Make a Hair Scrunchie

My mother in law asked me to make her a few of these and I had a difficult time finding a tutorial for them so I thought I’d make my own.

You can use knit or woven fabrics. I used all knits for these but wovens work just fine.

Supplies
    Strip of Fabric - if using knit fabric cut it 20” long x 4” wide
    if using woven cut it 30” long x4” wide

¼” elastic - 9”

Fold your fabric in half lengthwise and press. (It is obvious I didn’t press this strip!) Stitch along the length of the fabric leaving a 1” opening on each end.

Turn your tube right side out.

Stitch your short ends together right sides together.

Insert the elastic. I put a pin through one end of the elastic and push it through, holding onto the free end of elastic. Sew up the ends of the elastic.

Stitch up the hole that is left. Since the scrunchie is gathered by the elastic and your stitching probably won’t be seen you can just top stitch. I used a ladder stitch to sew it shut.

Last edited by cinnamama; 12-02-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: How to sew a hair scrunchie

Awesome, we go through these like disposables around here, alwasy losing them...it'll be nice to use up scraps instead of re-buying them every time I go to the store!

Laurie

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: How to sew a hair scrunchie - in DL

Wow. You are the first person that makes Scrunchies like I do.

I do a few things differently though. I use cotton fabric cut 4 to 4.5 inches wide, 2.5 to 3 inches if I am doing them for a small child. The length is 1/2 of the width of my piece of fabric (22" ?) or 1/3 the width for a small child. I think I cut my elastic about 7 inches if I remember right. Not sure of the length for a child.

When threading the elastic through I pin the elastic to the outside of the Scrunchie so I don't accidently pull it all the way through and have to thread it again.
    Last edited by bronzfrog; 02-25-2011 at 01:14 PM.