User Tag List

Thread: Sewing Sleeves in the Flat- in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

Sewing Sleeves in the Flat- in downloads

I took pictures for a few tutorials while I was making Halloween costumes, and I am slowly putting them together.

This is the way I sew almost all of my sleeves. It is so much easier than making two circles and trying to match them. You can use this technique for almost any sleeve you need to sew. There have only been 2 patterns that I have made that really couldn't be sewn this way.

http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/downloa...do=file&id=542
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Sewing Sleeves in the Flat- in downloads

I agree, I love doing sleeves in the flat. The *only* time I do them in the round is if I'm doing a fancy jacket with a 2-piece sleeve, the sort that doesn't have a seam down the center underarm.

, and

guest Guest

Set in sleeves are my NEMESIS on rollerskates with turbo jets. Ohmystars I HATE them. I will adapt anything I can to make them flat sleeves and thank you for this tute I know a lot of folks will love their shirts a lot more now

Downloads
    Uploads

I always do it like this too!

My Blog:

Kelley Homeschooling mama to Jennah - 14, Gavin - 13, Braden - 11, Mariah - 9, and Carter - 8.
    Check out this page with awesome info on notebooking for homeschoolers!

Downloads
    Uploads

great!!! that's how I do all my sleeves too! This should be helpful to lots of people. thanks!
    [SIGPIC]
    [/SIGPIC]
    I live for that face.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for leading more people over here to the dark side. ;) I do my sleeves like this, too, b/c it makes managing the ease more do-able, esp on a serger, and when doing children's and baby's tiny sleeves.
    Jacki, wife to Doug, SAHM to three girls, two boys.
    aldousmom on Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads

I just finished my first jersey t-shirt, and the sleeves went wrong. Wearable, but not what I wanted them to look like. I'll be using your tip the next time!
    Kristina
    Wife to my wonderful redhead.

Mom to one Philosopher Child (8yrs) and one Little Viking (5yrs)

The
    . Because there has to be a word for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by macaroniandcheese View Post
    thanks for leading more people over here to the dark side. ;) I do my sleeves like this, too, b/c it makes managing the ease more do-able, esp on a serger, and when doing children's and baby's tiny sleeves.
    I do mine that way too! Thank you!
    ~Marilyn~

~~Maui 2011~~

Downloads
    Uploads

I am confused. You unfold the hem? I got lost around step 13.
    ~~Michelle~~

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DUMPDUCK3 View Post
    I am confused. You unfold the hem? I got lost around step 13.
    You unfold it so that you can sew all the way to the end of the hem. You can see the fold line in the top left of the picture on step 13. You fold it back and hem it in step 16.

If you would like to hem between step 12 and 13, you could do that. I prefer my hems to cover up the seam. You don't have to iron the hem in place in step 12 if that step confuses you. I always iron my seams before I sew up the sides because it is easier to do it in the flat than to figure out how to fold them after they are in a circle.
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

thank you... sleeves don't look scary at all sewing them this way...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much! I have had so many problems with sleeves, I'm going to try it your way next time