User Tag List

Thread: Flatlocking serged seams - in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

Flatlocking serged seams - in downloads

There are a few ways to flatlock using a serger. I wasn't thrilled with how my garment that was just flatlocked looked so I experimented with serging the seams first. Here is how I did it. I am using the TDK undies pattern for this tutorial, but you can use this technique on many different items.

Option 1: When I checked some ready-to-wear that we had, this is how ALL of the pieces were flatlocked. It does not make the seam totally flat on the inside, but it gives you a great decorative stitch. This way works a little more like topstitching than making a seamless feel on the wrong side.

Step 1: Serge your seams like usual (right sides together).

Step 2: Iron serged seams flat.

Step 3: Set your machine for flatlock according to your machine's manual. I have a Husky 936. Make sure you make other adjustments to your machine as needed. You may need to change your foot, cover or lower your blade, and/or make other adjustments.

Step 4: Fold fabric to be flatlocked along seam line with wrong sides together.

Step 5: Flatlock seam.

Step 6: Open flatlocked seam flat.

Backside-

Finished

Option 2: I wanted something that was smooth on the underside despite being serged first. I experimented with another technique.

Follow steps 1-3 in Option 1.

Step 4: Fold fabric over serged seam with wrong sides together. Keep fabric tight against serged seam.

Step 5: Flatlock seam.

Step 6: Open flatlocked seam flat.

Backside

Side by side:

Option 2 works great for the inner seams of the undies, but the seam popped when I tried to flatlock the leg opening. I would suggest going with option 1 for any bindings (shown on leg openings). I am not sure how the waist will hold up to washings.

Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Flatlocking serged seams

what serger is that you have fancy nancy??

Downloads
    Uploads

Step 3: Set your machine for flatlock according to your machine's manual. I have a Husky 936. Make sure you make other adjustments to your machine as needed. You may need to change your foot, cover or lower your blade, and/or make other adjustments.

It's a Husky 936
    Misty
    Mama to Savana Banana(9) an Benny Bean (5)

Downloads
    Uploads

mel, THANK YOU!!!!
    mom to a 12 years old girly girl and a 10 years old smarty pants little man.

All typos are hereby blamed on my iPad.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mel for doing all this flatlocking work for us! I will try it when I feel better!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much for this tute mel! Flatlocking is something I've definitely wanted to work on learning!

My Blog:

Kelley Homeschooling mama to Jennah - 14, Gavin - 13, Braden - 11, Mariah - 9, and Carter - 8.
    Check out this page with awesome info on notebooking for homeschoolers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much! This is perfect and looks mire durable then a normal flatlocking technique.
    Laura

Christine 1/5/2002, Nicole 5/13/2003,
    Everett 4/24/2009, Alister 9/3/2010
    Moira and Giselle 10/24/2013!

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, thanks for doing this! It really makes sense to me now. Now I need to make something to try this out.
    Erica mama to ds 1/2009

Downloads
    Uploads

Great tutorial!! Thanks!
    Jenn
    Married to D (12/28/01), mama of 3 beautiful girls (7/03, 8/07, and 12/10)

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome tutorial!!! I totally need to try this. Thanks so much!
    ~~Cheryl~~
    Farm wife and Mom

A Heavenly view from my backyard.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much for posting this I want to try it on some fall/winter sewing this year!
    Carmen - Mama to 3

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Flatlocking serged seams - in downloads

Update:
    Option 1 worked really well. The nightgown and undies I made with that method are still going strong, and the stitching looks great!
    Option 2 was a complete failure. It held up for a few washes, but it popped after that.
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that update!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for updating Mel.
    ~~Cheryl~~
    Farm wife and Mom

A Heavenly view from my backyard.