User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ziploc Tote Sew-Along

Downloads
    Uploads

Ziploc Tote Sew-Along

***Edit 12/08*** You can see this tutorial with pictures at http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/sewalongs.html and click on Zipbag Tote on the right hand side of the screen.

Katie wanted one of these for our upcoming trip. since Jack got one for Christmas and uses it for fun little things to keep him occupied in the car,she had to have one, too. So, while I sewed, I thought I'd take some pictures. :-) I know Meg said she uses it for circular knitting needles. I think there are a ton of uses, really, first aid kits, make-up bag, storing tags and iron ons, etc...

Materials needed:
    2 peices of coordinating fabric cut to 18 1/2" by 12 1/2"
    1 peice of thin batting cut to 18 1/2" by 12 1/2"
    3 peices of twill tape- two of them cut to 15" for the handles and one cut to 13"
    Velcro cut to 11 1/2"
    8 Heavy Duty Freezer Ziplock bags-like Hefty OneZip-Quart size
    Glue Stick

1. Lay the fabrics right sides together with the batting on top.

2. Sew around the edges leaving a 4" opening for turning.
    3. Turn the piece right side out and topstitch around all edges, folding the edges of the opening in and catching them in the topstitching.
    4. Quilt the three layers together as desired. I used my freemotion foot and the stipple stitch.
    5. Lay out the velcro against the short ends, catching in the ends of the handle twill tapes and pin.

6. Stitch down the velcro.

7. Find the center of the tote and place four baggies on each side overlapping each one about 1-1 1/2". However it works out. Use the gluestick, just along the bottom to glue these in place. Note: I start layering the bags on opposite ends to even out the bulk.

8. Lay the 13" peice of twill tape down the center covering the bottom edges of the bags, turning under the raw edges. Use the glue stick to hold this in place. You could also pin this, but I find that I have less slipping around with the glue. I also like to taper the ends of the twill tape before I turn it under so that it lays a little nicer.

9. Sew around the edges of the middle twill tape and you're done!

I'm not very gifted in writing instructions, so if there is anything that is unclear or whatever, just let me know!
    Last edited by KelliR; 12-27-2008 at 12:12 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great instructions. I can see these being very useful for kiddos when taking trips, or even for quiet times, like at church or when going to appointments and such. I will have to give this a go!!! Thanks very much
    Dina

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those are great ~ very nice looking!
    ~*Meagan*~
    Mama to my Sweet Pixies ~ Sophie Elise and Ellory Quinn

|

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for this! I got one of these in a recent swap and it is the BEST circular knitting needle organizer. I've been wondering about how it was made.
    --Jena--
    at-home mama to Jocelyn Marie (8/10/06) with little brother or sister coming in May

Look who's one year old!

mike Guest
    That looks awesome! I'm going to have to make a couple. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for this! What a great idea.
    Karen, mama to five unique and wonderful children

Downloads
    Uploads

What would you make for your smocking teacher??

thanks! those directions look great and your finished product is gorgeous. i can't wait to try it...
    Jayne
    aka milosmom

check out my sewing album and leave me a comment!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh! Yeah. Great idea. I wonder if I can get it together by Friday to make a couple for the kids :chinscratch
    ~Jenn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you!!!

I use mine that I got in the swap for knitting supplies, and my dpn's and circular needles. Very handy!

~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Downloads
    Uploads

Need input on fake fly instructions

those look awesome. I can't wait to try one. Need to get ziplocks first

Downloads
    Uploads
    WOW! I can't wait to try this! What size bags did you use?
    Angie

mama to Jacquelyn-10, Zachary-5, and Nathan-2

Our new puppy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you! We have a couple of these and I'll be packing them full of goodies for our next long car trip. :-)
    Shecki

L to R: Josiah, Samuel, Annaliese, Paul, Hannah, Jack (aka Furby), Eli, Brianna, Shecki, Zachary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Angie, I used quart size bags. I'm going to go edit the OP with that info. :-)

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads

Maria & Amber??

Kelli, thanks so much for the sewalong!
    ~Pam~
    Mom to four cutie pies having fun
    this summer

ISO~
    Munki Green Apple poplin or Paste poplin
    Flea Market Fancy Blue colorway

Downloads
    Uploads

Baby accessories S&S

Thanks for this great sew-along; we have one and both the kids love it! Now they can each have their own.

I've converted this into a pdf and submitted it as a download. :-)
    Jayme ~ mama to Nathan 10/98 and Lauren 6/02

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dehart
    I've converted this into a pdf and submitted it as a download. :-)
    Thank you, Jayme! That is beyond my capabilities! :-)

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads
    that is awesome!

I think I will add a pocket on the inside too so dd can put in a book to read or a notebook to write in!

thanks
    Yes--they are ALLLLLLL mine!!!!! !

Noah, Kaitlyn, Conner
    Isabella, Alexis and Hannah
    and introducing!!!
    Harrison Parker - look who is 1!

Hand Painted Yarn...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool idea! Thanks for the sewalong! :sewin
    Jenny, sewing mama to notions loving Ellie

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those directions were very easy to follow. Thanks. Great idea.

SarahM Guest
    Great instructions! I can see these being a great gift bag - just tuck in some crayons/notepad/stickers etc! Especially for all of those school parties when you don't want to spend big bucks for a gift for a kid you barely know!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast