User Tag List

Thread: Ziploc Tote Sew-Along

Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Ziploc Tote Sew-Along

***Edit 12/08*** You can see this tutorial with pictures at http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/sewalongs.html and click on Zipbag Tote on the right hand side of the screen.

Katie wanted one of these for our upcoming trip. since Jack got one for Christmas and uses it for fun little things to keep him occupied in the car,she had to have one, too. So, while I sewed, I thought I'd take some pictures. :-) I know Meg said she uses it for circular knitting needles. I think there are a ton of uses, really, first aid kits, make-up bag, storing tags and iron ons, etc...

Materials needed:
    2 peices of coordinating fabric cut to 18 1/2" by 12 1/2"
    1 peice of thin batting cut to 18 1/2" by 12 1/2"
    3 peices of twill tape- two of them cut to 15" for the handles and one cut to 13"
    Velcro cut to 11 1/2"
    8 Heavy Duty Freezer Ziplock bags-like Hefty OneZip-Quart size
    Glue Stick

1. Lay the fabrics right sides together with the batting on top.

2. Sew around the edges leaving a 4" opening for turning.
    3. Turn the piece right side out and topstitch around all edges, folding the edges of the opening in and catching them in the topstitching.
    4. Quilt the three layers together as desired. I used my freemotion foot and the stipple stitch.
    5. Lay out the velcro against the short ends, catching in the ends of the handle twill tapes and pin.

6. Stitch down the velcro.

7. Find the center of the tote and place four baggies on each side overlapping each one about 1-1 1/2". However it works out. Use the gluestick, just along the bottom to glue these in place. Note: I start layering the bags on opposite ends to even out the bulk.

8. Lay the 13" peice of twill tape down the center covering the bottom edges of the bags, turning under the raw edges. Use the glue stick to hold this in place. You could also pin this, but I find that I have less slipping around with the glue. I also like to taper the ends of the twill tape before I turn it under so that it lays a little nicer.

9. Sew around the edges of the middle twill tape and you're done!

I'm not very gifted in writing instructions, so if there is anything that is unclear or whatever, just let me know!
    Last edited by KelliR; 12-27-2008 at 12:12 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.