So this is the sew-a-long/instructions for the Maddy's dress pattern free here on SM in the downloads section. Away we go then.....

First, let's cut 2 equal rectangles out of fabric for the skirt portion of the dress. I used a 9"L x 22"W piece for the 12 month size and an 18"L x 22"W piece for the size 4. The wider your piece the fuller the skirt will be
Next, on one of the rectangles find the halfway mark across the width and cut 2.5" down. Like this!

Cut one rectangle that is 2.5"W x 5.5"L, set all your rectangles aside. Cut out all fo the bodice pieces using the pattern piees. Sleeves are optional.
Make sure to transfer marking from front bodice piece onto the two outer pieces of fabric. Two are lining, two are outer. I have a picture for that.

Now, cut out two pieces of heavy fusible interfacing (Size 12m=1"W x 6.25"L---Size 4=1"W x 8.5"L)
8. Fuse the interfacing onto the wrong sides of both bodice back pieces along the straight edge in between the edge and dotted line on the pattern piece (you may or may not have transfered thos markings) Clear as mud? I'll try to make it clearer with another picture.

At this time you can either serge down the back bodice piece flap or turn it in 1/8" and press it. Top and bottom of flap should be turned down/up 1/4" and pressed. Once you've serged or pressed the flap edge, fold it over and press again.

(Yes, I'm aware my interfacing is too short in this picture )
Now, place two bodice pieces right sides together (RST) and serge or sew down the long edge of the front bodice piece. Do this with the other two bodice pieces as well.

If you're doing the sleeveless version then you'll want to sew or serge the armholes at the same time that you're doing the long side.

Whatever you do DO NOT sew or serge together the top, the bottom and the small portions on the side below the armhole. Here, I'll make it simpler.

A picture is worth a thousand words right?
Now, line up the markings you transferred at the bottom of the front bodice pieces so that one side overlaps the other. Very close to the edge (like 1/8") stitch from mark to mark.

We'll move onto the back bodice pieces in the next post...