User Tag List

Thread: Cargo Pocket Sew Along - added to downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

Cargo Pocket Sew Along - added to downloads

Preface : I'll be showing 4 different styles of cargo pockets. I wasn't making a pair of pants so I have not shown the placement of the pockets on the pant. To sew them onto a pant - sew the outer leg seam of the pant pieces. Then sew the pocket in place on the side - around knee level or higher.

I have not shown how to make pocket flaps - if anyone needs that too - I can do it next week.

I have not followed a pattern for these pockets - so if you know of a better way to make them - please do share it....

I will be mentioning the starting size of the fabric piece I cut for the pockets.....you can use whatever size you need to go with the size pant you are making.

Finish the edges of the pocket however you normally do - I have not shown this.

Cargo Pocket 1 - Quick & Easy

I cut the fabric for this pocket 7 1/2" * 6 1/2"

Turn the top edge under and sew.

Fold under the other three edges. Iron. Place the pocket on the pant at the desired place and sew the 3 edges in place.

Your super easy cargo pocket is done....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cargo pocket 2 - A pleat is sweet & neat

I cut the fabric for this pocket at 7 1/2 " * 10"

Turn the fabric wrong side up

Fold it in half

Measure how deep you want your pleat to be & mark - I measured 2 inches from the folded end of the fabric.
    (The pic for this is sideways :-()

Stitch about 3/4- 1" at the top and bottom . This pic is sideways too...

Open out the fabric ends....

Form the pleat at the center

Top view of the pleat

You can stitch the edges of the pleat if you desire - I have stitched it to make it more visible for the sew-along

The rest of the steps are similar to Cargo pocket 1 - Fold the top end under & sew. Fold under the other 3 edges. Iron. Place the pocket in the desired place on the pants and sew it in place.

Cargo Pocket 2 is ready.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cargo Pocket 3 - Fold to the left, fold to the right

I cut the fabric for this pocket at 7 1/2" * 9"

Turn the top edge under and sew

Fold under seam allowance on the other 3 edges. Iron.

Fold the the left and right sides of the pocket over to the size you want the finished pocket to be. I think I turned it under 1 1/2". Iron.

Top stitch the left and right edges.

Open out the edges of the pocket at left and right

You will be sewing the edges of the pocket to your pant piece by placing it underneath the topstitched fold of the pocket on either side. (I can't think of and easier way to explain that - hopefully you can figure it out from the pictures)

With the left and right edges sewn to the pant.

Sew the bottom edge of the pocket.

The finished pocket. (If you want you can sew the top ends of the pocket down to keep the top of the pocket flat.)

Cargo pocket 3 is ready.......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cargo pocket 4 - Pouch style

I cut the fabric for this pocket at 9" * 9"

Turn the top end under and sew.

Fold up the fabric at the corner matching raw edges. Mark the depth you want the pocket to be plus seam allowance - I used 1 1/2". Mark a straight horizontal line on the fabric. Repeat this for the other end of the pocket too.

Sew both ends where you markings are. Turn the pocket right side out - this is what your pocket looks like right now.

Turn under seam allowances on the three edges of the pocket. Iron.

Place pocket on the desired place on pant piece. Pin in place and sew (easier said than done :-)). This shows the top view of the finished pocket.

Bottom view of the finished pocket. Again as in pocket 3 - you can stitch the top ends down if you want the top of the pocket to lie flat.

Cargo pocket 4 is ready.....

Hope this wasn't too confusing....

Monica
    SAHM to my cuties Kyle (9/26/99) and Camryn (12/26/01)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    :bow :bow :bow
    Joanita
    wife to Leighton
    Mommy to Aria 13, Leighton 10, Ziona 8 Psalm Zion 6
    Zephania 2 and Zenna 8/12

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks! This was very helpful to me!

Kirsten
    Jen sahm to Emma, May 2003

the only time they ever get along!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you! Pocket #3 was exactly what I was looking for.
    Allison
    mama to Ara (16), Simone (14), and Zarin (9)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Monica, you are the queen of pockets! :thankyou1
    Jayme ~ mama to Nathan 10/98 and Lauren 6/02

Downloads
    Uploads
    :thankyou2 I'm forseeing some advanced pockets on my boys' summer shorts! :-)
    Shecki

L to R: Josiah, Samuel, Annaliese, Paul, Hannah, Jack (aka Furby), Eli, Brianna, Shecki, Zachary

Downloads
    Uploads
    :bow :bow Thats PERFECT! Thanks Monica!!

Val
    Val
    Partner to the love of my life, Don
    Sewing mama to Alex and Cyan and Logan

The youngest from last year and then the youngest from this year. Logan and Joey at the sew expo... Logan is 13 mos old!

Downloads
    Uploads
    :bow :bow

You rock!! thanks!
    Jill reminiscing single mama to Sam and Carter
    Carter with my brother 12/05

Im trying to declutter and earn some $$ for when we move. Please check out my FS post

IDSO:
    XL diapers any
    winter themed knit OR 2 shirts with a winter theme in size 4T and 6

Downloads
    Uploads
    :urock :thankyou2 :bravo [smilie=sign (27).gif]
    ~Jenn

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! Thank you!!!!!

Now to start some shorts for my boys....
    -Jill
    Jill
    mama to Duncan (14), Margaux (11) and Oliver (8)

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome, Monica! [smilie=cele.gif]
    -Sonya

sunset over Lake Superior

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks ! Glad it was useful...

Monica

On another planet.. oh wait, I'm actually in MD
    Downloads
    Uploads
    :happydance

Thanks!

Maria
    Maria, Mama to Christopher and Gracie!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A gorgeous day at the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC
    -------------------------------------

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just added this to the downloads under tutorials. I may need to work on the pic size though as it is 23 pages long.
    Last edited by mom2a2z; 01-30-2013 at 07:54 PM.