User Tag List

Thread: Snap Placket - in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

Snap Placket - in downloads

This is how I interpret the Otto instructions for a snap placket. It might not be the *right* way, but it works for me.

This style placket is on the polo shirts in both Otto 1/09 and 1/10.

Cut out all pieces as instructed

Transfer pattern markings to RIGHT side of shirt front and WRONG side of placket piece.

(apply interfacing to placket piece and then finish raw edges. I don't finish the top edge as it ends up inside the collar.)

Put a pin thru the mark for the bottom of the placket opening on the placket (wrong side up).

Stick the end of that pin thru the mark on the shirt front.

Match your marks at the top/collar.

Pin it all in place.

Sew. I set my needle 2 spaces right of center, so I can line up center with my marked line and have a very even SA once I'm done. The blue pin is just showing the marked line, as the vanishing marker was vanishing. At the end, I pivot and stitch 3 stitches, then pivot & go back up to the collar, again keeping the marked line at center.

When you're finished stitching, it will look like this.

Cut the placket open, up to, but not through, your end stitches.

Turn the placket to the inside of the shirt front, and press it flat on the narrow side (where the scissors are).

Fold the wide size over as shown.

Fold the wide side back along your marked foldline.

At this point you should have 3 facing layers and one shirt layer, all stacked up. One shirt + one facing, the opening, then 2 facing layers.

Press it all smooth.

I stitch the under side of the placket almost 'in the ditch' of the facing. I stitch very close to the seam of the upper side of the placket.

Top stitch a little rectangle to secure & strengthen the bottom of the placket. Yours will be tidier since you won't have my son trying to spin your chair while you sew!

This is what the inside looks like.

After you get the collar on, you'll have this.

(I'll return with complete photos later, ran out of time this morning!)
    Rochelle - mama to Finn, Ben, Josh & Cate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Snap Placket

You are awesome. I haven't attempted this yet but I can tell your tute will help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like an awesome tute!
    Brenda
    Momma to Mallory

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much for doing this! I am hoping to make the polo in the new otto, and this will help so much.
    Erica mama to ds 1/2009

Downloads
    Uploads

this w0uld have helped 3 days ag0 L0l i put my placket in with the wide side 0n the wr0ng side
    Misty
    Mama to Savana Banana(9) an Benny Bean (5)

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice - thanks for showing it!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Stacy
    WOHM to 2 little urchins

marzipan is offline Queen of the Noun T-shirts
    Downloads
    Uploads

You rock! I've done one successfully before, but this will totally save me from having to reinvent the wheel each time Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

GREAT tute!
    Jenn
    ~ full time working mom to a 7 yo dd, 9 yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 12 yo dd -- with a homeschooling dh!

I (used to) blog at

by
    , on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by marzipan View Post
    You rock! I've done one successfully before, but this will totally save me from having to reinvent the wheel each time Thank you!
    You're welcome! I pretty much had to get it all photographed for myself ... it's hard to follow the word instructions and remember it all each time. I illustrated instructions!
    Rochelle - mama to Finn, Ben, Josh & Cate

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Snap Placket - in downloads

great tutorial. Thanks for sharing