User Tag List

Thread: Design 15 Sudoku ruffle skirt

Downloads
    Uploads

Design 15 Sudoku ruffle skirt

Size 104-140 cm

Post your pictures and notes about this pattern here!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Design 15 Sudoku ruffle skirt

This is the 7 bobbin project! I didn't have a serger at the time and stitched, gathered and overlocked the seams on my regular machine. And I haven't made another since. I may now that I have a serger though. My youngest is all about the twirl skirt and she loves loves loves this.

Last edited by kellybelly77; 03-11-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had scraps leftover after sewing coordinating outfits for my 2 kids and my niece and nephew. So, I made this skirt. I didn't have enough for the ruffle trim, so I used sombrero fringe instead. And, I modified the waist band to use button hole elastic. The tee is from wal-mart and hand painted to match the skirt.

Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, and I agree with kellybelly about it being full. I made a size 104, but it's actually missing a gore, because I royally screwed one up and didn't have enough scraps leftover to make another gore. The hem is still about 14' around. I bought 5 yards of the pom pom trim, and I used almost all of it. There's a little over a foot left. I would have needed all or maybe more, if my skirt actually had 8 gores. LOL
    Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

This has been on my to-do list forever. In the end, it was more intimidating than actually difficult. Rather than cut all the fabrics in one of three sizes and then try to re-size them and get them laid out properly, I figured out which fabrics would go where and cut the proper size pieces from the start. Of course, this resulted in having 11 pattern pieces, but you really need them anyway if you are going to cut the big pieces down.

I used my ruffler to gather the pieces for the panels and then again for the bottom ruffle. Since I assembled the parts on my serger and used my second sewing machine for topstitching, I didn't have to do too much back and forth. If I could figure out how to get my machine to play nice and attach the ruffle piece to the other fabric while it's being ruffled, that would have sped things up immensely.

It is a very full twirly skirt, though, and the six year old is quite happy with the end result.

I made this in a 128 with 20.5" of 1" elastic in the waist. I don't know if I'll make it again. There are plenty of other twirly options out there.

~ kelly ~

mom to Alex, Zoe and Jack

my ISO:
    Snoopy Embroidery CDs
    dies for metal snaps to fit an OSDS press & 14/16 metal snaps

Visit Sewing Mamas'
    !
    Find Sewing Mamas on
    !
    Tweet with
    !
    Check out the Sewing Mamas
    !

Downloads
    Uploads

So I gave in and made another for my dd. Ok, ok, I made 2 more, one for each dd. Now that I have a serger it went sooooo much faster. I can't even begin to tell you how much easier it was with a serger. I cut out all scraps. Based on the size of the scrap I had, dictated which tier it became. I needed 48 scraps and I used 40 so only a few became 2 pieces.

The waistbands and ruffles are actual yardage from my stash. I gathered the tops of the second tier and the tops of the third tier on the serger. Then I laid them in stacks. 1a here 1b here 1c here and so forth. Then I grabbed an "a" a "b" and a "c" and put them together. Then assembly line serged them together. Then once I had the gores together, I took 8 for the first skirt and 8 for the second. I actually made extra gores in case I needed the variation.

The bottom on these suckers is 15 feet!! The bottom of the edge measures 23 in., times 8 gores. The actual ruffle is 8 strips of full width fabric or 29 feet ruffled down to 15 feet!

Kelly

Visit my blog at

Downloads
    Uploads

Really enjoyed making this. Used 8 different fabrics for the main skirt and a 9th for the waist and bottom ruffle. I laid the fabrics out and started with 1A2B3C and then next 1B2C3A and so on. Traced 3 patterns for each A, B, C rather than cutting them smaller. Start to finish in one afternoon.

SNS
    SAHM to D 4-01 and Izzy 2-06.

Ranger
    Ruby June

Downloads
    Uploads

2 more! I actually enjoyed making these last couple skirts. But how many scrappy skirts do my girls need? So these are for friends!

Look at all these ruffles!!

Kelly

Visit my blog at

Downloads
    Uploads

This was pretty fun to make! My daughter loves the twirl. Might make another one this summer.
    Mama to Zola ('07) and Felix('09)
    My sewing blog: