User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jazzing up a tee pattern

Downloads
    Uploads

jazzing up a tee pattern

My kids are going to AZ for ten days in March with my mom and I hope to spend some of the time getting some new downloads and articles written for the site. I would really like to do one on different ways to modify a t-shirt pattern. I'm hoping to encourage some of you that won't venture outside what the pattern says to do

So, I would love some help here. If you have pics and ideas of little things you've done to adult or children's t-shirts to make them different, please post the picture and how you did it.

I'll start digging through my files.
    Allison
    mama to Ara (16), Simone (14), and Zarin (9)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What do you mean exactly? Like altering a sleeve or body to make it flared? Adding embellishments/appliques ~ that sort of thing?
    ~*Meagan*~
    Mama to my Sweet Pixies ~ Sophie Elise and Ellory Quinn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh boy, this may take awhile. I didn't realize I modify so much. I made it to the Ds in my picture files. Only a million pics left to go :/

I'll add instructions later.

Flare the sleeves.

Add a hood. If you are using thick fabric, you might want to size up 1 size.

Widen the neck into a scoop.

Make it a v-neck (I'll post picture directions for this later), use stripes and cut the front on the bias.

Turn your raglan into a tank.

Make it into a cross shirt.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah Allison! :allisonundies I was going to send you a PM asking for instructions on how to do an adult cross front t-shirt like the one you posted yesterday (Munki Hopscotch, I think). Can you add that to your list? You are so talented in the design area. Everything you make always looks so professional. Can you tell I am buttering you up? :lol
    *Erin*
    wife to Michael Jon - 5/18/96
    mama to Abigail June - 4/22/04

*** I've been Frosted ***

My hyena cart ~ Het Schaapje
    Hand Dyed Wool - Wool Soakers - Knitting Accessories

My blog ~

My feed back thread:

My reason for living:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like this?

Colorblock the heck out of it :LOL2
    ~mich, mama to my 4 girls~

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just reading about a pattern that shows you how to alter your favortie tee shirts... I just can't remember the link.... :chinscratch

~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by *Erin*
    Yeah Allison! :allisonundies I was going to send you a PM asking for instructions on how to do an adult cross front t-shirt like the one you posted yesterday (Munki Hopscotch, I think). Can you add that to your list? You are so talented in the design area. Everything you make always looks so professional. Can you tell I am buttering you up? :lol
    I think we already have instructions for that. :chinscratch Well anyway, there was one at AW but I'm not sure if it was carried over here or not.

Downloads
    Uploads

gift idea?

Yes, that is what I mean Meagan. I was trying to add ideas first so people would understand better. Stop posting while I am :LOL2

Add a hood to the top and elastic cord and toggle to the hem.

Flare it into a dress.

Use your scraps and make it patchy.

Make a cross top for mama.

Flare it out into a dress for mama. For it to fit better, this also requires making a seam down the back and flaring it in at the waist and out at the tush.

Crop the sleeves, use contrasting stitches and iron on to "trendy" it up.

Remove the sleeves (either finish with binding, facing, or just fold the seam allowance in).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thought of some I haven't done but I've seen the S&S's here. Twisty top and the vertical elastic between your breasts that appears to have a lifting effect

Downloads
    Uploads
    [quote="PixiesMama"]
    Quote Originally Posted by *Erin*

I think we already have instructions for that. :chinscratch Well anyway, there was one at AW but I'm not sure if it was carried over here or not.
    No, that was for the mock cross front (like the black and natural one I just posted). She means one that just crosses on top, like the little girls Ottobre.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't find my picture of the one with elastic at the top. I'm not doing a twisty top mod-along. I say buy the pattern

You need to include pictures AND instructions with your post. Don't make me do all the work!

Make a v-neck with colorblocking right at the bottom of the V.

Contrast colorblocking under the arms.

Add ribbon trim down the sleeves.

Add a seam under the breasts and cross the front slightly.

Cut a keyhole neckline and bind.

Fold the neckline back and topstitch instead of using binding or ribbing. Works best on thicker fabrics.

Add long sleeves under the short for a mock two layer shirt (works well if you have summer shirts you want to extend for winter wear).

Flare a raglan into a dress and add a hood for a cozy dress.

Crop the top and add a circle skirt for a fun top.

Downloads
    Uploads
    :chinscratch I think I can find a pic of the racer back modification.
    ~bArb.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, Allison........you look fantastic in short hair!!! This is a neat thread. I'd like to know how to "flare out at the tush"....since my tush would definitely need some of that. LOL

Lisa
    The kids and I at Blue Mountain Lavender Farm

Downloads
    Uploads
    You've done a lot but...

Make it a cross top with color blocking and a flare:

Alter the front for a wrap top:

Color block a curved raglan (eliminating the side seam):

Add a gathered skirt and sash for a dress:

Sew only one edge of the neckband to the shirt and lettuce the other for a turtleneck:

~Heather, mama to 3 great kids

My kids' outgrown clothes (mama made and name brand) are

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heather do you have instructions on the wrap top mod?

Downloads
    Uploads

Fabric for ABC quilt...

Cool Heather, we both did wrap tops, but with different mods.

Wrap top with side tie:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lisak
    Heather do you have instructions on the wrap top mod?
    yeah yeah yeah!!!! That wrap top is great!! Quite stylin'!

Lisa
    The kids and I at Blue Mountain Lavender Farm

Downloads
    Uploads

S&S: Cute Pirate Lounge!

I've done a lot of wrap top variations but I think you have those covered. Here are a few I didn't see listed yet:

Add a zipper and when you mess up the bottom cover it with a patch.

Miter some foe for a v-neck.

Widen the body, cut up the center front, add snaps and a ribbed collar.

I forgot to upload the pic of a hoodie with a kangaroo pocket.
    Don't forget side tags- simple but add a lot.
    Shannon
    mama to Sebastian (16), Tierran (13) and Evie(11)

mike Guest

OT: Paperback Swap dot com

I've only got a couple, that I have pics of anyway, and I think they've already been addressed, but here we go:

Make a mock two-layer shirt by cutting the pattern at the short sleeve line, adding a generous seam allowance, sewing the top and bottom together and then "hemming" the short sleeve after the shirt is finished (fold the bottom part in)

sew decorative trim across the bottom of a mock-wrap shirt

add a skirt

add trim to bottom edge and sleeves

color-block a wrap-T. add embroidery design to match (I've also wanted to use a print for the main part and a solid for the behind part w/ an embroidery design, but hasn't happened yet)

add a skirt, sash, split the sleeve

OK, I guess I had more than I thought. Alex is begging to take a nap now, so I'd better get off the computer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    no pics but what about these?

side slit at hem
    FBA
    curving in side seams
    adding a yoke in back
    lettuce hems/sleeves
    using existing shirts -- e.g. cutting sleeves from side seams so you get a seam along the top of the arms
    making a muslin and drawing a new neckline directly on the model
    cap sleeves
    different styles of neck binding/facings/FOE/ribbing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast