User Tag List

Thread: Nintendo DS case w clear plastic game slots dwnld

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: In progress: DS case w clear plastic game slo

Are you ready? This is the tricky part!

OUTER CASE BODY & PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

I hope I can explain this well. Study the pictures, they will likely help more than the words. Main thing is to keep your orientation, pin lots and double check placement before actually sewing. I have had to rip stitches b/c I sewed the flaps on wrong a few times. It is very easy to get disoriented. The smaller inside flap is the worst. Take a deep breath and go for it!

By now you should have the following pieces:
    - large outer flap
    - smaller inside flap
    - strap
    - lining (the inside out fabric box)
    - stylus pocket attached to outer side piece and batting
    - gathered pocket attached to outer fabric piece and batting
    - a second outer fabric piece and batting
    - a second outer side piece and batting
    - a outer bottom piece and batting
    Still with me? It should look something like this when all laid out (except I forgot to include the strap in this picture. You can kind of see it in the upper left corner. And the lining in the upper right corner. I should have taken a better picture, sorry.):

Place the smaller flap on top of the outer fabric piece with nothing on it. You want about 1/4 inch on either side for your seam allowance, so place carefully in the center. Baste about 1/8 inch from the edge, as you don't want this thread to show through later. Stitch it such that the plastic side is toward the right side of the outer fabric piece. The Velcro should be closer to the basted edge.

Make a fabric sandwich with the outer pocket piece and the bottom side piece. Place the pieces right sides together and the batting on the wrong side. Stitch through all layers (batting - fabric - pocket piece and its 3 layers - batting) using 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Make a fabric sandwich using this pocket piece and the smaller flap piece. Match up the bottom edge. You will be sewing the bottom of the flap to the outer bottom panel. Stitch all layers using 1/4 inch seam allowance.

It should now look like this when laid out:

Next baste on your larger flap. Place this on the top of your outer pocket piece with outer flap against outer pocket. The plastic should be facing up. Baste at 1/8 inch.

It should now look like this when laid out:

Flip up your small flap. Pin the side pieces on the outer fabric piece as shown in the picture. Be sure to include your side panel batting too.

Do this with your stylus pocket side piece too. Be sure to place the bias of the stylus pocket upward as shown in the picture. Always be aware of your tops and bottoms. It is so easy to get disoriented doing this.

Now fold your case together. The flaps will be on the inside. Line up the side panel pieces with the gathered pocket piece sides. Using 1/4 inch seam allowance, stitch with right sides together as if your were making the box, just like you did for your lining (remember this?). It is essentially the same thing, although you have your flaps in the middle making everything that much more difficult. Stitch the bottom to the side panels as you did with the lining. You should now have a box with 2 flaps, one on the top and one on the bottom.

You are now ready to baste on your straps. Position them on the tops of the side panels. Baste at 1/8 inch. Make sure your strap is not twisted.

We are almost done! We just have to add the lining. This is the most annoying part. LOL.
    Last edited by breylormom; 07-19-2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Tricia: wife to wonderful DH and mother to 2 princesses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.