User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you topstitch knits?

nellis76 Guest
    I also use a twin needle 90% of the time. I have a coverstitch feature on my serger but do not care for the set up involved. I know I need to buy a separate one, but LOL where would I put it.

The twin needles will bunch up the fabric (inbetween) if you have the tension too high. I keep my stitch length at 2, and just loosen the tension, oh and cross my fingers.....

mrs slater
    (sorry if pic comes out huge)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsslater
    I also use a twin needle 90% of the time. I have a coverstitch feature on my serger but do not care for the set up involved. I know I need to buy a separate one, but LOL where would I put it.

The twin needles will bunch up the fabric (inbetween) if you have the tension too high. I keep my stitch length at 2, and just loosen the tension, oh and cross my fingers.....

mrs slater
    Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know how common this stitch is, but dd's basic Bernina has what would be a triple zig-zag except it's rounded, like waves or a snake or something. My twin-needling is pitiful, so I've taken to using that wave stitch on anything knit for females :/ . Sorry, boys, no knits for you :doh (actually, after this thread I *will* try the triple-straight, I forgot about that one).
    **Kim**
    Mama to: Malcolm (20), Nigel (16), Sophia (14), Clara (12), Gareth (10), Araminta (8), Lucinda (7), & Tarquin (2).

More Out Than In For 2008!
    2008 Fabric Bought: 96 yards
    2008 Fabric Sewn: 35.25 yards

Downloads
    Uploads
    I gotta throw this out there. When I was doing the triple straight stitch for knits is when I blew out the machine I was working on in less than a year. Yes, it was a low end machine and yes I sewed more on that machine in 6-9 months than it was ever designed to sew in a lifetime. But with all the knit pj's I did for my own kids and at least 4 other kids, not to mention every time I stitched down an elastic waistband.

I guess I just wanna say, take it easy if you are a prolific sewer on a low end machine and opting for the triple straight stitch.

It was blowing out that machine and having to have it replaced that forced me to figure out, become successful with the double needles.
    ~Jenn
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't like the triple straight stitch.

If I don't feel like switching my server over to do a coverstitch I serge then double needle. To keep the double needle loose and stretchy and not as tunneling I leave a long bobbin tail on each end and then stretch my garment as far as it will go after sewing. The extra thread gets pulled up into the hem or topstitching and loosens the tension more than I can on the machine.
    Faythe,
    sewing and knitting for my 4 girls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    These tips are so helpful and are prompting me to go finish the 2 OV lap tees I've got sitting in my UFO box!
    Jesse, WAHMama to 4 beautiful babies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ooh, I like both Faith and Jenn's suggestions. The stretching thing is exactly what I need. And Jenn, maybe the triple stitch will help me run this shotty newish Singer into the ground so I can buy a new machine . Thanks, Mamas!
    -tammey

Proud mama of Sewing Kids Maddie (8) and Scott (5)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did it! :happydance :allisonundies Played with my tension and for the first time was successful using my double needle.

Thanks to you mamas I learned 2 new things this week! :sewin

:lovemamas

Downloads
    Uploads

That's what I get for lurking...

:allisonundies YEAH! Congrats!

I can't tell you how many double needles I broke before I gathered all the double needles hints back at AW. I don't think I've broken one since! I actually have to throw away dull double needles :doh you know the heavy punching sound that needles do when they are dull, and for me soon before they break?

I'm so thrilled for your success Kori. :hug2
    ~Jenn

nellis76 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kori
    I did it! :happydance :allisonundies Played with my tension and for the first time was successful using my double needle.

AWESOME! Glad ya didn't through the hat in. Once you get used to them they are much easier, and a great looking tanks you got there!
    mrs. slater

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kori, that looks perfect!!! (taking notes here too!)
    ~Ana~
    mama to J (5) and L (2) and ? (due march '08)

Downloads
    Uploads
    can we get this archived or turned into an article we can save or something? I just got up the courage to try a double needle again the other day and promptly broke it. I'm going to get another one but I have to go clear to hancock's... I'm sure some of the info here will help me out!
    Vicki

blog:

etsy:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria
    can we get this archived or turned into an article we can save or something? I just got up the courage to try a double needle again the other day and promptly broke it. I'm going to get another one but I have to go clear to hancock's... I'm sure some of the info here will help me out!
    Here's a link to AW where we compiled all the twin needle hints. We should totally have something like that here but I don't think I've seen one so I opted to link for you.
    http://www.amitymama.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86607
    ~Jenn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kori

Great job! Thanks for sharing your fears, trials AND SUCCESSES!
    Jeanne - sewing, smocking, snuggling mom to two boys and a girl

"Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love"
    --Blessed Theresa of Calcutta

Downloads
    Uploads
    I took the liberty of writing up some of the tips that I found here, on the amity thread that Jenn linked, and from various other places. I switched up wording a bit to avoid directly quoting anyone... I think.

Tips for Successful Twin (Double) Needling

1. Begin by reducing tension and set the stitch to straight. Some machines have a twin needle stitch option.

2. Do not start and stop on a seam. Instead, start your stitch an inch before any seams or lumpy spots.

3. When going in reverse, go slowly to prevent the needle from breaking.

4. Sometimes tensions do not need to be set very high or low. All machines are different, and it just takes practice to see what works with your sewing machine.

5. Make sure you have enough thread on hand for the process.

6. Match your bobbin thread to your serger thread to blend stitching on the wrong side of your garment.

7. Contrasting color thread should be reserved for the more practiced double needlers.

8. If you experience “tunneling” of your fabric between your needles, try reducing your tensions. You may also try leaving a long bobbin tail at each end of your stitching. Then stretch your fabric as far as it will go after sewing. This will pull your bobbin threads into the garment and allow your tension to be even looser than the machine settings allow.

9. Threading your machine for twin needling:

a. start with the right spool
    b. the right spool of thread should feed off the spool in a clockwise
    direction, go through the
    right tension disk and right needle
    c. the left spool should feed off the spool counter-clockwise, go
    through the left tension disk, pass over the last thread guide just
    above the needle, and then proceed through the left needle
    Karen, mama to five unique and wonderful children

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now feel free to add tips and maybe someone can add it to the our sewing FAQ's or tell me how to do it.
    Karen, mama to five unique and wonderful children

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nicely done Karen.
    :bow

Downloads
    Uploads
    looks good! may I add: before you start stitching, use the handwheel to lower your needles to make certain they won't break when you start sewing!
    Vicki

blog:

etsy:

Downloads
    Uploads
    bumping so i can move it

Downloads
    Uploads

~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast