User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you topstitch knits?

Downloads
    Uploads

How do you topstitch knits?

I know many of you coverstitch. I don't have a desire to buy or use one.

A single straight stitch always looks best for me and I've never had a problem with it breaking. Maybe it's because I make my neck openings big enough so they don't need to stretch much. I feel like it's not professional though so I don't know if I should sell anything like that. That's why I use RTW shirts in my outfits but I want to start creating and selling with some of my cute knit print stash. My double stretch needle never looks good. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I get that puckering between the stitches. Sometimes I don't topstitch at all which looks fine as long as it's ironed. I tried doing a zig zag tonight and it looks okay. I can't get any topstitching to work on stretchy baby nay or baby lulu. Even some I have that were coverstitched get all stretched out.

Tip, ideas? What do you do (besides coverstitch)?
    Last edited by arasmama; 12-30-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

topstitching knits

I would love any tips here also. I thought it was jut my inexperience (is that a word?)
    Missy
    Missy mama to Ashley Ann 19 yrs, Jacob Kolbe 3 yrs
    Zachary Alfred 7/21/94 - 12/29/96 my forever angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

ISO-Boys cotton knits

Depending on the weight of the knit I ...
    A) serge first then double needle. I find that gives the edge more stability and makes my stitches consistantly nicer.
    B) on finer/lighter knits I've been known to serge 1/2" lastin to the edge prior to turning and hemming.

I like the look of a wider double needle but if I'm dealing with lighter weight knits I find that a double needle that is enough smaller than the width of my serging so it fits within the serging is a much safer bet for me.

Hope you find something that works for you.

ETA: on the really light weight knits I've been known to opt for the last years trend of unfinished seams just to keep my sanity.
    ~Jenn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you tried the triple straight stitch? It's a stretch stitch. I prefer that at necklines over a double needle, just my preference though. I vary between the triple straight stretch and a double needle for shoulder seams depending on the look I want.
    ~Becky, Mama to Anika (11/03)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use the triple straight stitch often on baby nay knits.
    ~*Meagan*~
    Mama to my Sweet Pixies ~ Sophie Elise and Ellory Quinn

|

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, what is a triple straight stitch? You topstitch with a double needle and then go back with a single needle and do a stretch stitch between the previous stitches? Is that right? I also get that roll of fabric pushing up between my double needle on the lightweight knits and it is so annoying because there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it.
    Love, Amy

*Felix '00, Clara '02 and Miles '06*

Downloads
    Uploads
    The diagram on my machine looks like:

lll
    lll
    lll

The stitch goes two stitches forward and one stitch back. That is what I have been using. The double needle scares me a bit but I'm learning. I like the look of a single stitch much better though.
    Amber: mama to Svea, Rory, and Tait

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thing that REALLY helps, especially with stretchy knits is lengthening your stitch length, my usualy setting is 2.5, I use 3.5 for topstitching knits. I've also found that I need a super stretchy hem with my destructo boy- he can blow out the best hems on tshirts, lol. I have to use a wide long zigzag for his shirts- it's about the only thing that works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mary,
    momma to Tyler 5-14-03 And Maya 1-19-2001
    and Ciara (kee-ra) 1-14-06

Audrey Rose 4.29.08

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm another one who hasn't had any luck with the double needle, and I use my triple straight stitch for shirt hems and topstitching around the neck. Sometimes I don't topstitch around the neck if I like how it looks without it.

Tara

!

Downloads
    Uploads

are there any Sewzannes coupon codes?

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try that tripple straight stitch. Do you adjust the length on that at all?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kori, I usually have the length set between 3 and 4 for that stitch. You can do some test stitching and see what you like. I think anything in that range would work fine.

Tara

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's my first try at a triple straight stitch. I set the length to 3. Mine only goes up to 3.5. I think I'll try that on the next one. Does this look right?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup, that's about what mine looks like, too. My Elna goes from 0-4. I just checked b/c I used on the raglan hems the other day, and I had mine set at 4.

Tara

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm glad you asked this Kori. I have the same problem and it's one of the reasons I've been putting off making Iven some much needed shirts. lol!
    Yes, I am messy. I had every intention of picking it up tonight but I guess someone had other ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We needs to make this thread part of our "tips" section. We have a tips section, right?

I like double needle on baby things, but only after I've first serged the edge before I turn it over. Also, if I use a wider double needle, I don't have as much of a "ridge" of fabric between the needles.

On bigger kids stuff, I think I'll try the triple straight stitch. It looks really nice on your shirt, Kori! I've been using a zig zag mostly, and I don't like how it looks, really.
    Karen, mama to five unique and wonderful children

Downloads
    Uploads
    On Duncan's knight shirt that I showed the other day, I tried out the stretch stitch...Duncan refers to it as the "lightning bolt" stitch on my machine and I really like the way it looks. It's like a mini zigzag, looks decorative from the outside, but I gave a really good yank on it after it was done and it was nice and sturdy and plenty stretchy.

I flat out hate double needles, I can never get them to work right, so I was happy to see that this stitch works well.
    lorraine, mama to my sweet baby boy (8/9/99)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep Kori, that looks good! I usually do set my length as long as it will go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can someone tell me what the stitch looks like in your menu? Is it the 3 vertical lines one? My manual doesn't really say what each stitch is or where to use them, lol. I've been using the twin needle a lot this week but it is a pita to set up.
    ~mich, mama to my 4 girls~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Walking foot. Before I had my CS, I had to use it on the stretchy rib knits with the double needle.
    Allison
    mama to Ara (16), Simone (14), and Zarin (9)

Downloads
    Uploads

I am desperate & unorganized...anyone have..

I have better luck with double-needles if I play with the upper tension a bit. If it is lightweight and still wants to tunnel, I feed in strips of tear-away stabilizer under the garment as it goes under the presser foot, or spray-starch and press the fabric before I sew to help stabilize it. Sometimes, though, it is late and I am tired and I just zig-zag.
    Mom to Katie(18), Ben(13), Michael(10) and Jack(7)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast