User Tag List

Thread: Reversible/Lined Yoga Waist A-line Skirt-in dwnlds

Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Reversible/Lined Yoga Waist A-line Skirt-in dwnlds

There are several ways to do this skirt, but this is my favorite method. It washes and wears great!

Step 1: Make your a-line skirt pattern based on your hip measurement (plus ease and seam allowance) and your desired length. My hips are 40.5 so the top measurement of my skirt is 42 with ease and 1/4" seam allowance. You may want more ease or a bigger seam allowance. Remember that you will have a front and back that are exactly the same.

Step 2: Cut a front and back from each of your fabrics.

Step 3: Pin skirt pieces right sides together, and sew up sides seams on each individual skirt.

Step 4: Cut your waistband from cotton lycra. Mine is 7" tall by 75% of my waist measurement. Be sure to measure your waist where you want to wear the skirt. Mine is lower than my natural waist.

Step 5: Sew waist into a tube by sewing the ends together (right sides together).

Step 6: Fold waistband in half with wrong sides together (seams to the inside). Mine is now 3.5" by 75% of my waist measurement.

Step 7: Mark quarter points on both skirts and your waistband.

Step 8: Pin skirts and waistband together matching quarter points, and put the waistband seam at the center back of your skirts. Right sides of fabric will always touch each other. Mine is layered fabric A right side up, waist band (right sides out), fabric B right side down. To reduce bulk, nest your seams. Make each seam go the opposite direction.

Step 9: Serge or sew (with zig-zag or other stitch) waist seam.

View of serged seam

Step 10: Flip skirt out, and hem each skirt.

You are finished!

Tips:
    -You could tack the bottom edge of each skirt to each other so they don't show from the reverse.
    -I have made lined skirts (non-reversible) the same way, but I cut my lining 1/2" shorter than my skirt. I then hem it the same way.
    Last edited by sewingmel; 04-13-2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My gluten-free blog-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.