User Tag List

Thread: Easy play dress - added to downloads

Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Easy play dress - added to downloads

I know this has been explained many times in MG, but I don't remember a tutorial for it. I took pics this time.

Items needed:
    -your favorite girl's t-shirt pattern
    -knit fabric for bodice
    -woven or knit fabric for skirt
    -foe or binding for neckline

Step 1:
    Adjust your favorite t-shirt pattern. Mine is Otto 4/04 #36. If you don't have this issue, please buy it today! It is so worth it!

A: Draw a line from the underarm seam to the center of your shirt. I drew it slightly sloping down, but you can go straight across if you like. This is the dotted line.

B: Draw a solid cutting/folding line as far away from the dotted line as you like. I just did a 1" line this time, but I do 2-3" for bigger sizes.

Step 2:
    Cut out front, back, and sleeves. This can be done with long sleeves, short sleeves, or no sleeves (you would need foe for the armholes).

Step 3:
    Sew up shoulders, and attach sleeves. Pretend that you are sewing up a regular t-shirt for now.

Step 4:
    Finish sleeve hems any way you like. I just folded under and used a zig-zag stitch. You could also coverstitch, use a rolled hem, use trim, or use foe. The choice is yours! Be creative!

Step 5:
    Pin each arm and underarm together. Sew last seam in shirt.

Step 6:
    Decide how long you want to make your skirt. I made mine 16 inches for a 2T/86.

Cut a long rectangle the width of your fabric (if woven) or about double the width of your waist by your desired length.

If you are making a much larger dress, you may need 2 lengths of fabric for the skirt.

Step 7:
    Finish your hem any way you like. See step 4. I turned mine under 1/4" and again at 1".

Step 8: Please remember this step! I always forget it!
    Mark your four equal parts (front, sides, and back). Your back seam is not finished at this point. I kept in mind that I would use 1/2" seam to take care of the selvage I did not cut off.

Step 9:
    Sew 2 gathering lines about 1/4" apart along top edge of fabric. (Pay no attention to the presser foot. The stitches are on the far right.) Gather up skirt.

Step 10:
    Match up midpoints of skirt and shirt and pin fabric right sides together. Sew back seam shut.

Step 11:
    Sew bodice to skirt.

Step 12:
    Finish neckline with foe, binding, or ribbing. I chose foe.

You are finished!
    Last edited by sewingmel; 12-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.