User Tag List

Thread: Easy Peasey Custom Pillowcase-in downloads

Downloads
    Uploads

Easy Peasey Custom Pillowcase-in downloads

Making your own pillowcase is super easy.

I find the "standard" pillowcases sold in stores often too small for fluffy pillows. So i measured my own and came up with my own standard size of approx. 21" x 30" finished size.

Yardage requirements - minimum of 3/4 yd main fabric and 1/2 yd coordinate.

For this pillow I cut 2 pieces of the main fabric print 21" x 21".

Then I cut 2 contrast bands 21" x 18".

Next you fold over and iron, the contrast band so it is 21" by 9" wide.

Then placing the raw edge of the contrast band to the right side of one end of the main fabric, serge or sew in place (I like the look of a serged edge, but this could easily be done all on a sewing machine).

Iron the seam flat, in this case i ironed toward the coordinate, but it actually doesn't really matter.

Line up, right sides together the 2 pieces. If it helps you keep it straight you can pin (being sure to line up the two contrast bands at the seam).

Serge/Sew the three remaining sides (i serge both long sides first, then the bottom seam).

I didn't photograph but i do place some fray check at the edges where the serging ends, to help keep it from coming unraveled.

At this point you can be finished.

However, i like to do a bit of contrast sewing, either with a straight line along the band seam or with a decorative stitch at the top or band seam.

Here is the finished product with my fluffy pillow inside.

One final note, if you have an odd shaped, or extra large pillow you need to make a case for you can easily measure length & width, add a bit for seam allowance to make your own custom sized cases.

Here's the pillow i used for this tutorial -
    26" long - i add 4" to the length because i like extra at the end of the case so the pillow isn't peaking out.

19" wide (38" around) - i add 2" to the width for ease of stuffing the pillow in, and a bit of seam allowance.

One more note - You can adjust the size of the contrast band according to how you like your case to look. I've done them most often with a 5" wide final band. However I really liked the way a wider band looked with my fabric choice this time. Just divide out the final size you are looking for to adjust the size of the band - for example if i'm wanting a 5" wide final band I'd cut 2 main pieces 21" x 25" and 2 contrast bands 21" x 10". To get my final size of approx. 21" x 30" (minus seam allowance).

***ENJOY sewing your own pillowcases, it's so much fun to pick your favorite fabric combination. I've been making my own cases for a while and I find them much more luxurious to sleep on than anything bought from the store. I think because I know i did it myself. :theclap:
    Sarah
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Wife to John & mommy to princesses Faith & Olivia

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Easy Peasey Custom Pillowcase

Great tutorial! Thank you. I'll be trying this out.
    ~~Michelle~~

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish that was my pillowcase! I love that!
    Amy: Mama to Max and Stella and Certified Professional Midwife

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the easy to follow tut. These make great gifts for kids and adults.
    You can either complain that rose bushes have thorns - or rejoice that thorn bushes have roses.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! I need a case for a naked pillow I have lying around...
    Carmen - Mama to 3

Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet Tute