User Tag List

Thread: Binding in the round with coverstitch binder

Downloads
    Uploads

Binding in the round with coverstitch binder

I used to think that my two options were to bind in the round without using my binder attachment or binding in the flat with the bulky seam at the shoulder. I've been working this out in my head for awhile, and I finally figured out how to do it, so I thought I would share.

This was difficult to explain, so if any of this isn't clear, let me know.

First, begin binding (using your coverstitch and binder attachment) at the back and continue around, stopping an inch or two short of where you began.

Now, get out your seam ripper and rip your stitches until you have two free tails of binding and the beginning and end are even with the fabric (not going off the edge).

Place the edges of your binding along the unbound part that you left and mark where they overlap. (I used pins.)

Open the binding and place it right sides together, being sure not to get it twisted. Sew along the line you marked.

Trim the excess binding

Finger press the seam allowances on the binding open.

Go to the iron and iron your binding folds back in place. (I used small pieces of steam a seam to secure it in place.)

Go back to your coverstitch machine and stitch in place, overlapping both ends. . .maybe you will do a better job than I did of lining up your stitches ;)
    Sandra
    DH (Love of my Life)
    DD#1 (Allie, 8)
    DD#2 (Jenna, 5)
    My machines: Janome TB30, Juki Pearl MO-655 Serger, Brother 2340CV, Janome Memorycraft 350E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Binding in the round with coverstitch binder

NIce! Thanks

Isabel

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting....I'm going to have to give that a whirl soon!
    Tera
    Mom to Madelyn, Harley, Emily and Samuel!

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good!

~ kelly ~

mom to Alex, Zoe and Jack

my ISO:
    Snoopy Embroidery CDs
    dies for metal snaps to fit an OSDS press & 14/16 metal snaps

Visit Sewing Mamas'
    !
    Find Sewing Mamas on
    !
    Tweet with
    !
    Check out the Sewing Mamas
    !

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! That looks awesome!

I bet you could make the seam less bulky if you sew it on the diagonal. Although you would probably have to rip more to get the freedom to do that. That might not be worth it!
    Rebecca, Mom to Cai (07/05),Jonah (04/07), Shiloh (01/09)and wife to Sheldon (05/03).

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice!
    I don't have a coverstitch machine, but I'll try it with the twin needle

Want to unload your Otto 2/12? Let me know

Stash Game Running Totals: 770 points/ 77 yards sewn

Downloads
    Uploads

I see on here you started with it already attached.
    Is there a tute showing how to use the binder attachment for the CS machine? I could use that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chris

SveetaGirl Creations

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by chrysalis View Post
    I see on here you started with it already attached.
    Is there a tute showing how to use the binder attachment for the CS machine? I could use that.
    There's a fantastic one by cobblestone. http://www.sewingmamas.com/b/showthr...er+coverstitch
    Last edited by jcsews; 02-20-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added link
    Jenn
    ~ full time working mom to a 7 yo dd, 9 yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 12 yo dd -- with a homeschooling dh!

I (used to) blog at

by
    , on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads

Great idea!!!
    Michelle
    Momma to Sam (12)