User Tag List

Thread: eBayer - FABRICCENTRAL - Watch for postage fees!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Waiting eBayer - FABRICCENTRAL - Watch for postage fees!!!

I just bought this fabric (after seeing a lovely SnS from tmlmom)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt em&item=25033450569 8 (ebay item #250334505698)

Seller is "Fabriccentral"

I will report again here once I receive the fabric but I think it is RIDICULOUS to charge $7.50 for shipping 3 yards of fabric. I've e-mailed her twice asking why (especially when a FRE costs NOTHING). Her reply was that the extra was for shipping supplies and her time/gas to go to the post office. Being an eBay seller myself and printing my labels from my computer and putting them out for the mailman to pick-up... I KNOW it doesn't cost me fuel to drive anywhere. And, even if I did do that - I still think it is ridiculous to pad shipping costs when the profits should be in the product itself.

Needless to say, I won't be buying from them again.
    Last edited by April1930s; 12-14-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: eBayer - FABRICCENTRAL - Watch for postage fee

I didn't look at the listing, so excuse me if I'm asking an obvious question. Are you saying that the total shipping for 3 yds is 7.50? If so, that doesn't sound so out there. I shipped out 3 yds this last week and it was 9.55 for Priority. It was a knit, so wouldn't fit in a fre. 3 yds of woven would most certainly fit in flat rate. Also, not everyone can do a pickup. I have a rural lock box and while I'm sure they *would* do it, I don't feel comfy leaving things out by the community mailbox or even on my step, and I'm out in the mornings when the truck comes. I do print all fr postage at home and do dropoffs all at once, so don't charge anything extra for that, but I do always have a make a 15 mile trip to take care of those things.

I'm sorry you feel overcharged. I'm just trying to point out that what she's saying could possibly have validity. I hope you're able to work things out with the seller.
    Rosa, Mommy to A-19, V-17, L-15, A-13, M-9 and C-5, and M-3!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, it was a woven... and while I don't mind paying a handling fee (like a $1.00) I just get irritated when they say the charge is for packing supplies... ?? for fabric? It's not a breakable... so to charge an additional $2.70 ? I know, I know - it seems rather silly to complain about a mere two dollars and seventy cents, but from someone who ships EVERYTHING for free, it's irritating when I have to pay a significant amount more than actual costs.

ETA: I just got a succinct (and I think, rude) reply... saying I'm the first to complain (when her shipping charge stars clearly show otherwise) and it's the cost of the packing tape and the time to pull my item from stock.... <---- uhmmmm, excuse me, but isn't that what the mark-up is on the fabric itself?

I think one can request a pick-up for a particular day for the USPS. (if you know you're going to be home on a certain day).

<<<Also, not everyone can do a pickup. I have a rural lock box and while I'm sure they *would* do it, I don't feel comfy leaving things out by the community mailbox or even on my step, and I'm out in the mornings when the truck comes. I do print all fr postage at home and do dropoffs all at once, so don't charge anything extra for that, but I do always have a make a 15 mile trip to take care of those things.>>

Ugh!! I'm going back to enjoying my Sunday.
    Last edited by April1930s; 12-14-2008 at 07:04 PM.
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

Downloads
    Uploads

I always check the shipping charge in the listing when I buy stuff and keep it in mind when I'm calculating the "real price" of whatever I'm buying on ebay.

You may have been the first to actually complain to her.

It is really cute fabric, though!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, that makes sense. 3 yds of woven should easily fit in a FRE and shouldn't be any extra trouble to pick up or drop off. Sorry you felt taken.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think she won't be getting as much business from mamas ;)

I occasionally get questioned about some of my shipping rates, but try to make it as clear as possible that I will REFUND without being asked if your cost is $1 or more less. I have no problem paying for priority, but will not buy from people doing things like padding the shipping like that. That's just another form of fee avoidance.

Plus, I notice it actually says FC shipping. Never mind that 3 yards of fabric will weigh more than FC limits...I hope she DOES at least ship it Priority
    Myrinda

Sewing mamas enjoy 10% off through the holiday "sewmama10"

Downloads
    Uploads

I just saw this.... and had the same issue myself. $5.50 for 2 yards of a woven sent first class. Yeah... right. And this was the response I got from her.

I am sorry that you don't like the shipping fees I charge however to ship your package to you the cost was 3.40. The rest of the shipping fee 2.10 goes for packaging of item printing label and invoice and delivery to the post office. My charges are NOT excessive. If you don't like paying fees associated with buy over the Internet, I would suggest that you shop locally to avoid them. Thank you for your comment.

Customer service astounds me.
    Leah, mama to two little bits of sweetness Anjali 4/13/05 and Navya 11/22/09

Downloads
    Uploads

And she tried to tell me I was the only one to complain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ama_Anbhu View Post
    I just saw this.... and had the same issue myself. $5.50 for 2 yards of a woven sent first class. Yeah... right. And this was the response I got from her.

I am sorry that you don't like the shipping fees I charge however to ship your package to you the cost was 3.40. The rest of the shipping fee 2.10 goes for packaging of item printing label and invoice and delivery to the post office. My charges are NOT excessive. If you don't like paying fees associated with buy over the Internet, I would suggest that you shop locally to avoid them. Thank you for your comment.

Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

Downloads
    Uploads

She does not have the best attitude. I would not shop with her again. Have you received your fabric?

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, now I'm just LOL. Uh, yea. You print at home for in ink. The box is *free*. Most people can have a pickup for free. If you only make a run once or twice a week and combine the orders you are sending out at once, AND maybe even do your grocery shopping at the same time....

Now I'm sorry I stood up for the lady. LOL After hearing the whole spiel, I agree with y'all....she's wacko.

Downloads
    Uploads

I reported the listing to ebay for excessive shipping. I think if people do that, maybe it will draw some attention to it.

There is no way it cost $3.40 to ship 2 yards of a woven unless she is in Alaska. I would have at least not have felt completely taken if she had shipping priority.

April, are you leaving her negative or neutral feedback?

Downloads
    Uploads

I wasn't impressed with her attitude or service either. I'm biding my time until I get my fabric... she's already left feedback and I received notification of shipment, but I still want it in my hot little hands before I leave feedback of any kind.

She does not have the best attitude. I would not shop with her again. Have you received your fabric?
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

Downloads
    Uploads

My Qualifications for Neutral (which is what she will most likely receive):

1.) I've received my item
    2.) It's in the condition I expected from the listing
    3.) I've attempted to make contact and have allowed the seller opportunity to provide good customer service.
    4.) There service is unsatisfactory.

Negative would be the extreme of any of the above.

I've left positive feedback for people who've shipped my item, but I never received it... only because their service was outstanding.

I reported the listing to ebay for excessive shipping. I think if people do that, maybe it will draw some attention to it.

There is no way it cost $3.40 to ship 2 yards of a woven unless she is in Alaska. I would have at least not have felt completely taken if she had shipping priority.

April, are you leaving her negative or neutral feedback?
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, so if you didn't like the terms of her shipping, then why did you bid? That is what ebay is all about, it's your choice to bid agreeing to the terms of the seller. If you don't agree with those terms, then either email the seller before you bid asking for cheaper shipping (which they may or maynot agree to) or don't bid! Very simple IMO!
    Dina

Downloads
    Uploads

So you agreed to the shipping charges, paid the shipping charges, and then got upset about the shipping charges? Or does ebay not show the shipping charges up front anymore? It's been a little while since I bought off of there.
    Either way though, I do wish more sellers would charge closer to actual shipping than they do. It makes them more of a reputable seller, IMO.
    ~April~
    mom to Lexi(10), Mason(4), and Maddox(2)

Downloads
    Uploads

The shipping charge is initially quoted as $3.50 for 1 yard.... which is just 'okay' and I wouldn't complain because that is what I agreed to. (I'd still give them 3 out of 5 stars on shipping charges) and, considering if someone only wanted one yard and the seller had to hassle? with just one yard.... BUT, I purchased 3 YARDS. I was hoping for a better combined rate. It doesn't show this in the listing and is up to the seller's discretion upon invoice.

And, as far as being a reputable seller for charging closer to actual shipping <--- that was why I posted... because they are not as reputable in my opinion. Their so-called combined rate is NOT very desirable, so I thought I'd alert other Mamas to this, too.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilwood11 View Post
    So you agreed to the shipping charges, paid the shipping charges, and then got upset about the shipping charges? Or does ebay not show the shipping charges up front anymore? It's been a little while since I bought off of there.
    Either way though, I do wish more sellers would charge closer to actual shipping than they do. It makes them more of a reputable seller, IMO.
    Last edited by April1930s; 12-19-2008 at 03:50 PM.
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with you April. It shouldn't have been any harder to ship 3 yds instead of 1, so the extra "handling" charges don't make much sense.
    ~April~
    mom to Lexi(10), Mason(4), and Maddox(2)

Downloads
    Uploads

Well and not to mention, I would have thought increasing the shipping would mean that my fabric would have then shipped priority, but instead she sent it first class which I paid $5.50 in postage.

I know that they have to set up their shopping cart to protect them for under charging or from having to figure out shipping on a case by case basis. The same as my etsy cart would over charge someone for purchasing multiple items because of how it is set up. For instance, right now is someone purchased 3 bags, they would pay $15+ for shipping because of how I have it set up. However, I think it would be an obvious overcharge and I would without a doubt refund them. I could not in good conscience keep the extra money that was paid for shipping if that was not what shipping cost.

Plus, this ebay purchase was a buy it now, which I did at 1am -- when I one, had the time... finally found what I was looking for. I would have thought it would be as obvious for the seller, as it would be for me thru my etsy store to charge at least close to actual shipping or upgrade to priority.

Not to mention, priority would have been nice considering it is Christmas fabric.

I do not think this post was created for a pity party on not reading the fine print. I think it has more to do with good conscience. Why would you want to do business with someone who charged you $7.50 to mail 3 yards of woven first class mail?

Downloads
    Uploads

I got my fabric today and I will say that she gave a couple extra inches so I am grateful for that. I will leave positive feedback, but I will state what the charges were in the feedback itself.

Leah's right - I just wanted to alert Mamas to be aware that combined shipping is not really that great a deal when buying from that seller. She shipped it in a Priority envelope (because I had e-mailed with insistence) and used a PAYPAL generated shipping label (not one that had to be done at the post office like seller indicated) which means it cost $4.75 - I was charged $7.50. Fabric was stuffed in Priority envelope - no frills or extras to warrant the padded charge.
    Last edited by nutmeg; 03-08-2009 at 12:55 AM.
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April