User Tag List

Thread: Thinking about Brother CE5000 Anyone have one?

Downloads
    Uploads

Detective[1] Thinking about Brother CE5000 Anyone have one?

It's the Project Runway edition. Now I don't really care that it's Project Runway, it just seems to have all of the things I'm looking for in a new machine; several 1 push stitch options, 1 step button hole, and easy threading/bobbing.

And it's only $139.. I know sometimes you get what you pay for, so I'm asking opinions on this machine.

Thanks!
    *Harley*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Thinking about Brother CE5000 Anyone have one?

Quote Originally Posted by hayatiggs View Post
    It's the Project Runway edition. Now I don't really care that it's Project Runway, it just seems to have all of the things I'm looking for in a new machine; several 1 push stitch options, 1 step button hole, and easy threading/bobbing.

And it's only $139.. I know sometimes you get what you pay for, so I'm asking opinions on this machine.

Thanks!
    I just got one at Walmart for 139. Overstock has refurbs for 95. There are a LOT of refurbished machines all over the net.
    Here's my experience with this exact machine. It sewed gorgeous stitches. For about 30 minutes until I actually broke a needle. Whereupon a thread worked its way up tight inside the bobbin case. ( A typical experience for all sewers from time to time). Well, there's NO way to get at the rear of the bobbin race area. the two screws holding on the needle plate can't be removed unless you used a coin and pliers perhaps. I do have a short stubby screwdriver but even that was too tall. so, I tried to just work the best I could. Ya know, the whole bobbin race thingy and the 2 piece plastic cover are flimsy and I never could get the bobbin hook in there right again. Result is long loopy loops on the back and utter frustration. The way the thread goes into the bobbin tension spring is simple at first and now is impossible. The bobbin hook isnt even all metal, part black plastic resin and part metal.
    The manual is for 2 models, wish i had gotten the one with the 60 stitches, could have used the background quilting stitch.

I should mention, I'm the kind of person who's used every machine on the planet and have repaired all sorts of machines for friends, tho I'm no pro. This machine will likely be returned. I'm hoping I've overlooked a simple thing, will try again tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm considering this one as well, but I noticed Overstock also has a Shark 80 stitch for the same price and it does more. So now I'm researching Shark machines. I read several (probably 50) reviews online on various sites and overall it's a good machine, but for the money there are better ones available. I have a Brother. I've had it for about two years and have used it a TON. I've had it serviced once. It seems that the same problems carry over on lots of lower end Brother machines. My Brother functions, but I'm not impressed with the overall quality of the machine. Too many plastic parts.

... My blog...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies.. This is going to be a present to me from my mother in law. I just hated asking for something really high priced, you know? It's coming from Wal-Mart, so I'm going to hang on to the receipt, and if I don't like it, I will return it.
    *Harley*