User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lazy Gift Bag Tute (3 min project!)

Downloads
    Uploads

Lazy Gift Bag Tute (3 min project!)

This is my standard giftwrap now, for every gift giving occasion.

I timed one of these, and it was three minutes, from cutting to complete.

Supplies Needed:

Fabric (approx. 15"tall x 18"wide in this example)
    Ribbon (about 16" here)
    Pretty/Coloured Thread

Step A
    Cut a rectangle of fabric - if you have a specific gift in mind, cut the width of the fabric the size of the circumference of the gift plus some ease, and the height as tall as the height + depth of the gift, plus several inches for the section of the bag above the ribbon.

Step B
    Finish one long (top) edge of fabric. You can do this anyway you like, I simply serge with a small stitch, unless the machine is already set for a rolled or picot edge.

Step C
    With Right side facing up, measure about 4" from top of bag (or more if you're making a larger bag!). Fold ribbon at center, rightsides together, and place fold at your measurement.

Step D (optional!)
    Pin ribbon in place, far enough in to not interfere with your seam.

Step E
    Fold left side of fabric over right side, around the ribbon, match top corners of your finished edge. (Red pin was moved so you'd know where the ribbon is now)

Step F
    Stitch seam. I've simply lengthened the stitch and serged with the same blue thread. Re threading or doing a sewn & finished seam would make this not a 'lazy' project!

Step G
    Unpin ribbon, and pull it out the top(finished) edge of the bag.

Step H
    Lay bag flat with seam facing up, and make it centered.

Step I
    Stitch bottom seam.

Step J
    In photo above, secure thread ends in your preferred manner - my way is to fray check & clip as these bags will not be laundered frequently.

Turn it right side out and you're finished. Put the gift in it, and this could be faster than finding the wrapping paper & tape! Plus - these bags are reuseable.

Rochelle - mama to Finn, Ben, Josh & Cate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Lazy Gift Bag Tute (3 min project!)

Oh how awesome! I will have to sew some up today!
    I am the way and the truth and the life.
    No one comes to the Father except through me.
    John 14:6

Downloads
    Uploads

So cute! I'll be trying that! Thank you!
    formerly KittyKitten
    Momma to Tori (6/2005)

Downloads
    Uploads

I make these out of plain cheap muslin for fruit/veggie bags when I go to the farmers market, the ties are really nice for keeping things in the bag. Great tute!

Sisters!

Mama to Kaia Morgan, 3/3/03
    and Avalon Elena, 12/24/06.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks!! I gotta make some as gifts AND for veggie bags!
    Bonny
    SAHM to Princess Claire (10-14-02) and her sweet brother Dustin (1-16-08)

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for sharing! How cute would that be with fleece too??? Cut the top edge like a pom pom when you tie it up.
    Tonya

Downloads
    Uploads

Very clever!
    Hugs and Blessings, Shelly
    Check out my blog:

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been looking for something like this. Thanks so much!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! I've been wanting to do this and looking at different ideas for them. This is the easiest one I've seen and I'm planning on trying it.
    Joy, Mama of Hannah (10/04) and Lexie (5/07)

Downloads
    Uploads

this is really cool! thanks!
    [SIGPIC]
    [/SIGPIC]
    I live for that face.

guest Guest

LOVE IT!

Downloads
    Uploads

Neat, thanks for sharing.

ISO ~ Otto 4/11 and 6/11,

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for sharing! I will be trying that!

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome! I'm going to definitely use this tute for Christmas gifts! Thanks!

My Blog:

Kelley Homeschooling mama to Jennah - 14, Gavin - 13, Braden - 11, Mariah - 9, and Carter - 8.
    Check out this page with awesome info on notebooking for homeschoolers!

Downloads
    Uploads

What a great project! I'd love to wrap presents in a more earth friendly way. Thanks
    **Sarah***wife to my best friend Matt***SAHM to two sweet boys Kaden 2/2006 and Jack 8/2008

Downloads
    Uploads

Appl[1] Re: Lazy Gift Bag Tute (3 min project!)

Thanks for this looks like the xmas tree will look really pretty and fabricy this year. What a great (and stylish)way to not have a huge bag of gift wrap to throw away!

Downloads
    Uploads

perfect! I've been making them like that, but haven't added the ribbon, THAT is a great idea!

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you ask for them back again? My problem with gift bags is that unless I'm getting them back I'm using far more resources to make the bag than using paper. Hopefully the recipient is either reusing it or returning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    I make these out of plain cheap muslin for fruit/veggie bags when I go to the farmers market, the ties are really nice for keeping things in the bag. Great tute!
    THAT is such a great idea! I have made a concerted effort to stop using so many plastic bags. At home we use, well, plastic containers, instead of plastic bags. But when I go grocery shopping it's difficult not to sure their plastic bags. Thanks for that great idea!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Do you ask for them back again? My problem with gift bags is that unless I'm getting them back I'm using far more resources to make the bag than using paper. Hopefully the recipient is either reusing it or returning it.
    I asked for them back this year! Dh's family always laughed when I saved bows and gift bags so I didn't really think they would be reusing them. Ds's teacher went crazy for the gift bag part of her gift this year. It turns out that her aunt made them before she passed away so I made her a set of gift bags as a gift. It turned out great, and I included a tag that said to gift or use as you choose.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I used them for all my family & friends where I knew they'd be reused. For my FIL & some other friends that would either lose them or throw them away, I used paper - we do still have a lot of leftover paper from previous years.

Every gift IN our house that stayed in our house (with the exception of my new sewing machine ... I didnt' make a bag big enough for it, b/c I didn't know I was getting it!), was wrapped in fabric. We had one tiny little bag of garbage/recycling in the living room after gifts - and it was mostly packaging, not wrapping stuff. It was so nice not not have that big huge bag of paper to toss.
    Rochelle - mama to Finn, Ben, Josh & Cate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast