User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuxedo ruffle leggings tutorial (img heavy)dwnld

Downloads
    Uploads

Tuxedo ruffle leggings tutorial (img heavy)dwnld

This tutorial shows how you can add tuxedo ruffles to your regular legging pattern.

1. Cut out your regular leggings pattern. I use the pattern from the 4/04 issue of Ottobre, but any leggings pattern will work.

2. Measure your pattern near the hem to find out how long your ruffle strips need to be. My pattern is about 9.25" long (size 116). Multiply by 2 for fullness and round up, so I need strips about 20" per ruffle. I like 3 ruffles per leg, so I need 6 strips that are 20" long. No need to cut each separately, I can just cut 2 strips from my 60" wide fabric and that will be enough.

3. Cut 1" strips for the ruffles.

4. Set the ruffle strips aside and hem the bottom of the leggings "in the flat". A 3/4" hem works will with 1" wide ruffles, it makes it easy to line everything up nicely.

5. Optional: finish the raw edges of the ruffle strips. This takes a long time, even using the roll hem feature on my serger. But you get a different look with matching thread, contrasting thread, or not finishing at all:

6. Gather the ruffle down the middle. You can do this using a ruffler foot, I set mine on "6". Then cut the strip in 9.5" lengths (or whatever your leggings width measurement is).

Alternatively, you can cut your strips to twice the length required for each ruffle and gather by hand. I do this by pulling up the bobbin and top threads, pulling out those threads 12" or so, and then zig zagging over them.

Then pull the threads to gather to the appropriate width.

8. Pin the ruffle strip to the bottom of the leggings. If you used a 3/4" in hem, you can position the middle of your ruffle strips right over your hem stitching line. Topstitch in place with a zig zag stitch or other stretchy stitch.

9. Continue with all the other ruffles and the other legging leg.

10. Almost done! Now you can start assemble the leggings. Stitch or serge the center front and center back seams of the leggings:

11. If necessary, trim any extra ruffle pieces off the edge of the leggings:

12. Carefully pin the inner leg /crotch seam and baste the section where the ruffles are on your sewing machine.

13. Stitch or serge the entire inner leg seams in one seam, starting from the ankle on one leg, up around the crotch and down the other leg. Secure serger threads.

14. Finish waistband in your usual manner, and you are done!

Variations:
    Pink and plum ruffles were gathered with a ruffler foot and edges were finished with a rolled hem.

Light blue ruffles were gathered with a zig zag stitch over threads, pulling the threads, and the raw edge of the ruffle was left unfinished.
    Sarah
    Daniel and Amelia's mama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Tuxedo ruffle leggings tutorial (img heavy)

wow that's really nice!!
    [SIGPIC]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/SIGPIC]
    I live for that face.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! I am confused about the zig zag over the threads... Not sure what you mean by that.

Downloads
    Uploads

You did a tute?

I'm so happy

so cute. And it looks super easy.
    Now if I pm you will you help me figureout the rolled hem on my serger?

THANK YOU

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamama View Post
    Thank you! I am confused about the zig zag over the threads... Not sure what you mean by that.
    That is one way to gather your fabric, there are many. Here is a tutorial specifically explaining how to gather fabric by zig zagging over your threads:
    http://www.lovetosew.com/seamgathering.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

Darling! Thanks for the tute. Dang, I really am going to have to invest in a ruffler foot, I think.
    Sara

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SewSarahSew View Post
    That is one way to gather your fabric, there are many. Here is a tutorial specifically explaining how to gather fabric by zig zagging over your threads:
    http://www.lovetosew.com/seamgathering.htm
    Thank you so much. I will check that out. I am grateful for this tute b/c dd2/dh just ruined a really cute romper with ruffled legs with spaghetti sauce and the dryer.

Downloads
    Uploads

this is great! I can see doing this technique on many things...like dresses and sleeves!
    Micki

Official sew-er, cooker, cleaner, chauffeur, cuddler, etc. to six
    Alex (16) Leelee (14) Ben (11) Kari (9) Lizzy (6) and Millie (3)

Downloads
    Uploads

Love them! i'm so going to do this for some leggings for dd's fall wardrobe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much for this! I'm going ot have to try this. I just love it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much for this tute! Can't wait to try it out...
    "Wanna see a funny face, mama?"

Downloads
    Uploads

what a great tute...thanks for the hard work.
    WWCKD?= What Would Captain Kirk Do?

Tabbi--NM Homeschooling Mom to G1 & G2

Long shot dream ISO Fabric list-->

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent tute. Great pictures and very easy to understand. Thank you, thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

You rock! I am going to so do that to some chez ami leggings that I am making for a bday gift.
    Mom to Zoe (4-19-02) and Piper (7-19-05)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much for sharing this!
    Melissa

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much! I'm going to have to try this.
    Kate, mama to Abby (10/04)

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't wait to try these! Thank you!!
    Wife to Matt; Mom to Joshua (19), Garrett (17) and Liesl (5)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My blog:

My Etsy:

Downloads
    Uploads

I put some of these ruffles on a shirt for my dd, but, I never thought to do it this way on the leggings. What a great idea, and by the way, ruffle foot?? What is that? I wonder if my Bernina came with one...it only came with about 400 accessories!

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I love those, I will definitely be making some of these, thanks for the tute!
    Jess, usually
    Sahm to Abby (9), Gen (5), Lillian (3) And Olivia 1/24/08

So, what did you do over Christmas Vacation???

Downloads
    Uploads

thank you!!!!
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"] ISO: japanese woven colorful heggies and Amy Butler Pink Coriander

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast