User Tag List

Thread: Bubble Skirt OTTO 6/07 #14

Downloads
    Uploads

Bubble Skirt OTTO 6/07 #14

Hiya! Here is a cute bubble skirt tute.. I should probably warn you that I never follow otto instructions so this is my own version, it's their pattern with a totally different way of assembling.. Mine is soooo much better, LOL.

Cut out patterns and fabric, make sure you mark all the pleat lines correctly...

Cut the template #4 out of card stock... and place on each pleatline and trace it. You'll be sewing on this line...

This is what it will look like ...

Baste the pleats at the top and backstitch well so that it doesn't come apart while you're assembling.. press pleats...

Here is the front now... nice eh?

Finish raw side seams...

Sew together side seams right side facing, leaving room for the zipper on one side...

Now draw a line for the ribbons 6 cm down from the waistline around entire skirt...

Apply ribbon sewing on the top and bottom of each and make a decorative bow and attach where you want it to go....

Now take you skirt and turn it inside out and upside down, we will now put in the hemline pleats... Sew pleats at the pleatlines at the bottom of the skirt..

Finish raw edges of the lining like outer skirt and sew side seams again leaving room for the zipper...

Put the lining into the outer skirt with right sides together..

more in reply....
    Tamar
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    In love with Gavriel since '97
    SAHM to 6 delicious girls and 1 little prince
    ***Nava***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Bubble Skirt OTTO 6/07 #14

Sew the hemlines together of outer and inner skirt...

Your skirt should look like this now...
    Notice I sewed gathering stitches on the waistline of the inner skirt? Do that now... and bring the inner skirt back up through the outer skirt...

It should look like this...

Now sew the two skirts together at the zipper opening.. It will make it very easy to put in the zipper and it will look nice and clean when you're done...

Baste the waistline together...

Put on your waistband however you choose. Just remember that you need to have that zipper opening at the side.. Use the elastic that you measured your cutie's waist with... put it inside...

Here it is with the elastic in and side still open...

Open hidden zipper and iron the teeth open... then sew on the zipper like this... pay attention to how the zipper is positioned...

Now the other side... again look at the position..

Done! Pretty!!!

She loves it!!

Thanks and good luck!!
    Tamar
    ***Nava***

marzipan is offline Queen of the Noun T-shirts
    Downloads
    Uploads

that is SO cute Tamar!

What did you do after you sewed the zipper in? Did you just cut off the excess?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by marzipan View Post
    that is SO cute Tamar!

What did you do after you sewed the zipper in? Did you just cut off the excess?
    Oh! Oops. I guess I forgot that part...
    I folded the excess at the top of the zipper over the waistband to the other side and then when I folded the seam open I tacked it neatly so that the excess zipper is hidden and secure... I'm not sure if that is clear or not, so if you want I can take a picture. I would not mind at all.
    Tamar
    ***Nava***

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much for doing that! Your whole outfit is so adorable I love it. The bubble skirt makes it looks so cute and fun. I bet your girlie just loves that set!
    Princess Peach

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess its called a bubble skirt because of how the skirt is pleated at the top AND bottom and make the middle balloon out a bit....? I saw how you basted the pleats in the outer (print) layer of the skirt and then sewed it on to the lining - I guess the pleats stayed in right? Its hard to see cause of the print.....You didn't add gathers to the bottom of the lining did you? Only the top?
    Rebecca, Mom to Cai (07/05),Jonah (04/07), Shiloh (01/09)and wife to Sheldon (05/03).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hershyyyy View Post
    I guess its called a bubble skirt because of how the skirt is pleated at the top AND bottom and make the middle balloon out a bit....? I saw how you basted the pleats in the outer (print) layer of the skirt and then sewed it on to the lining - I guess the pleats stayed in right? Its hard to see cause of the print.....You didn't add gathers to the bottom of the lining did you? Only the top?
    I pleated the bottom of the outer skirt fabric at the pleat marks given by the pattern, after pleating that, it ends up being the exact same size as the inner skirt lining. So no gathering or anything of the inner skirt, you just sew it right together and that way the bottom of the skirt has no hemline really it just becomes one big piece that goes right to the waist... ask away if you have more questions..
    Tamar
    ***Nava***

Downloads
    Uploads

so cute!

Hi I am Joanna, I am married to the love of my life Randy, and we have a beautiful daughter named Ella Gene.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had this skirt cut out for a long time, but have been intimidated by the instructions. Thanks for the help.
    Stephanie
    Mama to Carley 15, Catie 13, and Cole 9

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, thank you! That was really helpful.
    Amy: Mama to Max and Stella and Certified Professional Midwife

Downloads
    Uploads

Cute skirt can not wait to try it out.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is really beautiful!
    Kim, mama to Matt, Michael, Katy and Adam and brand new Oma( granny) to Travis and Blake!!!!!

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads

beautiful!
    i am putting this on my list!
    barbara momma of 7
    summer sewing to do list
    DS- 12 tank tops- DONE, 15 pairs boxers 13 done, 12 t-shirts- 7 done, 12 pairs shorts 7 done, PJ's 7 pairs, 0 done
    for each of my 3 DD's- 6 dresses- 3 done, 12 t-shirts 0 done, 6 skirts 0 done, 12 pairs panties- 0 done, 7 nightgowns- 0 done

Downloads
    Uploads

This is gorgeous!
    Carmen - Mama to 3

Downloads
    Uploads

Liked the bubble skirt. Thanks for detailing the instructions. But, I loved your favorite outfit of all time. Do you have the pattern for that skirt/outfit.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is a wonderful tutorial. It makes it much easier! I love the fabric that you used. Was it a baby wale cord? It looked like the knit on the top matched. Where did you find a cord and a rib knit so matchy? LOVE IT!
    Hugs and Blessings, Shelly
    Check out my blog:

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, thanks for that. Such a cute skirt. Great Tute!!
    Mom to Zoe (4-19-02) and Piper (7-19-05)