User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pettiskirts--with a lot of pics of the process-dwn

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Pettiskirts--with a lot of pics of the process

They are fantastic, thanks for posting, I have wanted to make these for ages and am being a big chicken!!!
    Last edited by Sneeches; 07-07-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typos
    Taiche

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Love them!!!
    Michelle
    Wife to Clinton 5-03
    SAHM to Caitlyn 6-04 and Madeline 5-08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

those are AWESOME!

any chance we can get this in a tutorial on the website for future reference ????
    Micki

Official sew-er, cooker, cleaner, chauffeur, cuddler, etc. to six
    Alex (16) Leelee (14) Ben (11) Kari (9) Lizzy (6) and Millie (3)

Downloads
    Uploads

love it!
    Mama to 3 kids, married 17 years
    BLOGGING Mama at

In my sewing room:
    Brother NX-450
    Brother 1034D

ISO:
    Scoopy Doo knit fabric
    Max (rabbit) embroidered iron on patch from Max & Ruby.

Downloads
    Uploads

sigh... if only i had a girl...

They look fabulous!
    Full time graduate student mama to Jackson... a someday PhD with my finger in many crafty pies. I'm a very very untalented seamstress despite my efforts to fumble through project after project... still scared of knits

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! Those are adorable. Thank you for sharing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome! Thanks for sharing/posting!!!
    Simone
    Momma to a miracle munchkin. I also work full-time outside the home, am a fabricaholic, love bellydancing and am constantly ISO more time to seewwwww!

Downloads
    Uploads

Adorable! Thank you for the tutorial. It doesn't seem so difficult in pictures!!
    Karrie, married to my sweetheart and Mom to Austin 11, Harrison 7, Haddon 5 and Ava-Grace 3

Sewing blog:

Downloads
    Uploads

Beauiful!
    Nylon Chiffon is wicked cheap! I had no idea! Thanks for the link.
    Joni

Mom to Sweet Zinnia (4!) and Danny (18 mos) Wife to Tory the Wonder Hubby

Come see what i can do-

Downloads
    Uploads

You just saved me like hours of work. I did not think you could use the ruffler. And the 3 to one ration, fold over pics, and not doing it in the round.
    I am giving you a standing ovation here in Texas.
    THANK YOU.
    Now I can cut that chiffon that has been screaming at me. I was just like a deer in the head lights.
    Mom to Zoe (4-19-02) and Piper (7-19-05)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by meliatx View Post
    You just saved me like hours of work. I am giving you a standing ovation here in Texas.
    THANK YOU.
    I was just thinking that Melia needed to see this. We were just talking about this.

Great work! I think pretty much any tutorial is accepted around here because we always love to learn new stuff. I especially love the baby's one with all those layers scrunched together! Maybe I will attempt one as well.... Do you have any idea of how much you used on the small one?
    Mel- mom to my two busy B's

My sewing blog-

My gluten-free blog-

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know how to quote, but to answer your question sewingmel about yardage requirements for the small one:

For the satin charmuese you need 8 inches (my waistband is 8X36, so the width of the fabric accomodates the 36".

For the skirt color of the nylon chiffon, you need 2 strips of 54" fabric for the first tier and 6 strips of 54" fabric for the second tier, so 8 strips that are 4 inches wide--total is 32" (I think you have to buy in 1 yard increments, so you should get 1 yard.)

For the fluff chiffon, I did a ruffle factor of between 2 and 3. For a ruffle factor of 3 and using 2 inch strips, you can get them all out of 1 whole yard of 54" fabric. And I do mean 1 WHOLE yard. It will use every piece. If I were buying, I would buy the 1 yard of this and use the extra 4 inches of the skirt chiffon that I bought to practice on w/ my ruffler.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Downloads
    Uploads

oh, and one more thing/tip: I did not prewash my fabric--the care instructions are to air dry, so I decided I could live with a little bit of shrinkage, but I don't expect any. I just thought after washing, this stuff would be impossible to get to cooperate.

Here's the tip : After you have cut your strips, and they are all folded nice and neat, don't unfold them to look at how pretty they are and let them end up in a messy pile (don't ask me how I know! ). It will be much easier if you leave them folded and use them one by one that way--this way you can just feed them through the ruffler without having to work with them to keep them from getting twisted on the way through--this goes along with the tip about making sure they curl to the bottom as you feed them through the ruffler. I did it both ways, and it is much easier if you pay attention to this before you start

Downloads
    Uploads

They look awesome!

Downloads
    Uploads

Those are FANTASTIC!!!!! And I have to say, your little one is so SO cute, what a doll baby
    lorraine, mama to my sweet baby boy (8/9/99)

Downloads
    Uploads

Fold the waistband in half, wrong sides together, so that one of your skirt pieces in inside the other one.
    Can you please explain the last part about getting the rectangle to be a skirt?

I just can't visualize it right now.

I love the thought of not having to do it in the round.

Thank you so much!

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great! Thanks for the tutorial - I would not have thought to attach the two skirts to either side of the waist piece.
    Kate - SAHM to 3 beautiful children - 1 girl & 2 boys

Princess Dress Pattern on sale NOW! (click on the banner above)

Downloads
    Uploads

They are beutiful mama! my little lady would go nuts over a pettiskirt like that!

Dee
    x
    English Girl living in USA, Mum to Maddy (8) and Joshy (6)

Downloads
    Uploads

To answer your question about turning the rectangle into a skirt, position your rectangle, so you are looking down the satin middle with the chiffon peices to the right and to the left, right sides up.

Take the bottom and fold it up so the bottom edge is even with the top edge (right sides together). Sew across hte top edge. (As you are sewing, you will sew across one layer of chiffon skirt, then across the waisband, and then across hte other layer of chiffon skirt.)

Turn it right side out and grab the middle of the waistband in a couple of places. Then make one of your chiffon skirts fall to the inside of hte other one.

Is that clear as mud?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I got it. I'm sure it will be clear once I'm at that step.

Thanks again! I'm so excited to make this tonite.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast