User Tag List

Thread: Four Patch Doll Quilt Sew-Along Part One

Downloads
    Uploads

Four Patch Doll Quilt Sew-Along Part One

Finished Quilt size- 20" x 15 1/2 "

Ok, I'm going to do this in installments. There are quite a few pictures and I'll try to be as detailed as I can for those who aren't quilters. Those of you who are more experienced can just skip over all of my prattle Remember to have fun! It doesn't have to be perfect.

Select your fabrics:

Easy- choose 12 different coordinating fabrics. You'll need just one 5" square of each. Or just use 4 fabrics and all of the 4 patches will be identical.

Easier- -choose 1 fabric for a solid block instead of a 4 patch. This would be a great way to use a novelty You'll need 12- 4" squares

You will also need a setting block or background fabric. 1/3 yard should be plenty.
    It's time to think about what you would like to use for your binding and backing also.

You'll need about 80-90" of 2 1/4" strips for the binding. That means two strips the full width of the fabric.

For the batting, you could use Warm and natural or any other thin batting OR flannel works really well in doll quilts, too.

The backing and batting pieces will need to be about 20"x 25"

Cutting and sewing the 4 patch squares

Cut your 5" squares into quarters or 2 1/2" squares. Lay one square on top of another with right sides together and chain piece all of them into sets of two. (Chain piecing just means that you don't want to cut your thread between squares, just keep on sewing, keeping the pieces close to each other. It will save time and thread )
    NOTE: If you are only using 4 fabrics, only cut your 5" squares in half and then sew those short strips, right sides together, to another strip. Then press open and cut in half perpendicular to your seam. This will save you a little bit of time.

Cut the threads that connect them and press open, pressing the seam to one side or press seams open if you prefer. Usually in quilting, if you press to the side, you'll want the fabric pressed to the side of the darker fabric. This way the darker fabric wont show through the front.

Take the sets of two and sew them to another set of two. Chain stitch these,too! It's more important to match up that middle seam than it is to match the edges. We'll do some trimming to get our blocks nice and straight.

Now you have your 12 Four Patches! We'll take them to the cutting board and square them up. Using the middle seam as a guide to mark your center, trim up the block to 4" Make sure you don't just trim the excess off of one side, but all four!

OK, that's all for part one. I'm going to post a questions thread, also so feel free to ask anything you need. There are no stupid questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Four Patch Doll Quilt Sew-Along Part One

Saving my place...

Debbie

Christopher is here! June 10, 2010
    Weighed 7lb 6oz, 21 in long.
    Totally adorable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finding my fabrics today Thanks so much for doing this
    Dina

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow I would love to join in. Just need some fabric.
    sewing for my little ones
    DS 12/03 and DD 03/06

Downloads
    Uploads

nak

found my charm pack. just to clarify, if i use 4 fabrics, i need 3 squares of each to start, right?

ETA - i'm sorry for the silly questions. quilting boggles my mind, but i really want to try.
    Sara

Downloads
    Uploads

oooooooooooooo this is exciting!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yay! I've got my squares done (well I have to re-do one that I messed up) and I found my other fabrics. Gosh that took me FOREVER yesterday, but I think I did pretty well.

The bottom fabric is the backing. The next time I'll fussy cut the larger scale print. (What's up with including a large scale DIRECTIONAL print in a charm pack!?!? no fair. lol)

I am so excited! I'm having a hard time waiting for the next step!
    Sara

Downloads
    Uploads

~xoxoNutmeg~

The SAHMama Emily (21, college grad who has a great full time job with a non profit company) Mary (11, loves reading classics and is off to middle school in the fall!) and Melissa (9, the happy go lucky bundle of energy that keeps us on our toes!)

(filling up Summer 2013)

, Doula, midwifery fun!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Meg

My blog:

Downloads
    Uploads

Bumping as I'm using this to make a doll quilt and don't want to look for it, LOL
    Amber
    I blog!

My Great Granny, and my sewing inspiration!

Her 8oth Birthday Party

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm working on this quilt, so bumping so I don't have to find it
    Tera
    Mom to Madelyn, Harley, Emily and Samuel!