User Tag List

Thread: Any tips on drafting a flounce?

marzipan is offline Queen of the Noun T-shirts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any tips on drafting a flounce?

I need to add some length, and I'm thinking a flounce would look lovely. Any tips?

Thanks!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A semi- circular shape works well. Make the top part smaller than you *think* it's going to need to be, LOL! I have cut a large circle and just used that if I have enough fabric, 2 piece flounces take less fabric though. If you do a circle, same thing applies... cut the center hole smaller than you think looks right, LOL! Ask me how I learned that...
    Eva
    Spending all my money on sewing supplies, soaping supplies, dance and gymnastics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have the 1/08 Ottobre? There's a flounce on the bottom of the muffin tunic.
    Katie, mom to Anneke 2/16/05 and Ilse 11/15/09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come visit
    !
    And find me on

And on

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me I cut around a dinner plate with a tea plate or saucer in the middle. I tried a bunch of different sizes and I like the way that one looks.

Hard to see, but this has a double flounce cut with this... can't remember how many dinner plates worth were joined together but it was more than two for each layer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I measure the length of the edge I want to put the fluounce on, then divide that into an equal number (4 or 6). Then I make a curve that long...so,

say the edge of the skirt was 36 inches, I'd divide by 6 and draw a curve 6 inches long.

Then, I put right angled edges on the end of the curve, and measure out however long I want the flounce to be, 3 inches or whatever seems right. Then I draw the bottom of the curve 3 inches below the top curve I made.

Then, I cut 6 of this shape (with seam allowances), sew the edges together, and atatch them to the bottom of the skirt.
    Katie.
    ---my goalie girl---

Downloads
    Uploads
    Measure the distance around the bottom edge of the skirt or whatever it is you want to add the flounce to. Then use the math for making a circle skirt in order to draft the right size flounce. This method has worked really well for me.

ETA: here's a cool tutorial
    http://www.mysecretpocket.com/2007/0...r-ruffles.html
    Last edited by SewSarahSew; 04-05-2008 at 03:53 PM.
    Sarah
    Daniel and Amelia's mama