User Tag List

Thread: Japanese pattern book "Girly Style"

Downloads
    Uploads

Japanese pattern book "Girly Style"

I recently got this book, and I am enamored.
    It is very easy to use, and anyone who has any experience with tracing patterns will not have any troubles with this one. The instructions are very clear even though they are in Japanese, the illustrations are completely adequate. Yes, I do have a fair amount of sewing experience but I believe these to be suitable for advanced beginners/intermediate seamstresses.
    The garments I have sewn up so far fit true to size (using a similar size to what I would use in Ottobre), have been well drafted and stylish and everything went together nicely.
    I look forward to trying more patterns from this book!!
    Eva
    Spending all my money on sewing supplies, soaping supplies, dance and gymnastics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eva, what sizes does this book go up to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Girly Style" Japanese pattern book? Is that the name of the book?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, "Girly Style" is the name of the book.
    Sizes range from 100-140, which about corresponds to 3/4T-9/10yrs. I made sz 100 for my youngest (3 1/2, slim/average size) and that fits her with a bit of growing room. I have just started making her 98's in Otto instead of 92's which she's outgrowing but some still fit. Hope that made sense!
    Eva
    Spending all my money on sewing supplies, soaping supplies, dance and gymnastics

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just finished up a top from the book last night! It was pretty easy to put together. I actually think the hardest part was tracing the pattern. There are sooooo many lines. I had a really hard time following them. At one point I highlighted the wrong one.

The top ("g") looks pretty wide for my skinny girl (she hasn't tried it on yet) so I'm wondering if I can leave the seam allowance off on the sides in the future?
    v&j 10.12.02
    princess 5.18.04
    buddha 5.2.07

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Eva. That helped a bunch.

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: "Girly Style" Japanese pattern book

where can I buy the pattern, it sounds interesting. anybody want to share pics??

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you link me to what it looks like?
    Your Stitchery Friend,
    April

Downloads
    Uploads

I picked up a couple of Japanese pattern books at a local Japanese book store. I can't wait ot sew from them but it really doesn't seem difficult even though I don't read Japanese.
    *~Jamie~*
    happy wife to a nerdy dh, mom to Emily, 11, and Cadence, 4 and Annika 6/09.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by april1930s View Post
    Can you link me to what it looks like?
    This is the cover, from amazon japan.

The ISBN is 457911132X / 9784579111329, and you can search on flickr (also see this list or this one); many people have posted pics and shown their finished outfits.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes~ I love that book!!
    ~Marilyn~

~~Maui 2011~~

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't understand a bit of Japanese, is this book still worthwhile?? Does it have enough illustrations that a semi-beginner could understand what to do?? Are the pattern sheets similar to Ottobre?

My Blog:

Kelley Homeschooling mama to Jennah - 14, Gavin - 13, Braden - 11, Mariah - 9, and Carter - 8.
    Check out this page with awesome info on notebooking for homeschoolers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnkelley View Post
    I don't understand a bit of Japanese, is this book still worthwhile?? Does it have enough illustrations that a semi-beginner could understand what to do?? Are the pattern sheets similar to Ottobre?

~YES, this book is very easy to use! Lots of pictures and I don't read Japanese either! I love this book!
    ~Marilyn~

~~Maui 2011~~

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the pattern sheets in this particular book are WAY more busy than the Ottobre ones. I had a little difficulty tracing my first pattern.
    v&j 10.12.02
    princess 5.18.04
    buddha 5.2.07

Downloads
    Uploads

I have it too and have like 6 pages marked, hahaha! DH brought mine from Japan (I know, I'm so lucky ;))

I often get mags and books from the local Japanese book store or DH brings them from Japan. I think if you can use Otto, you can use them. You don't really need to be able to read Japanese. Also, if you look at them enough, you'll start to see characters repeat, etc. But they do tend to use only a few colors (if more than one) on the sheets, so that can be a bit tricky.
    Myrinda

Sewing mamas enjoy 10% off through the holiday "sewmama10"